Offline Defrag

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offline Defrag

I am going to run an offline defrag this weekendand have some questions. The reason for the procedure is to reclaim white space due to a large number of users deleted. I am going to run eseutil as follows:

eseutil.exe /d E:\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\clwsexcm01-SG1\DB\clwsexcm1-sg1-d1.edb /t f:/TEMP/temp.edb

I am using the /t switch to place the defrag on another location. My question is after the defrag is done will the new database be placed back in it's original location?

Once it is done is there anything else I need to do before mounting the store back?? Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Offline Defrag

Yes, the database will be put back in it's original location. I can't think of anything else that needs to be done other than making sure you take a Full backup before and after the defrag.

Comment

Excellent! I will be starting the the defrag after the full backup Friday night and try to finish before the Saturday night full backups.

Comment

Joe, is it a good idea to reboot the exchange server before starting the offline defrag?

Comment

Not neccessarily. I never have, and typically don't afterwards either, unless the defrag chews up a lot of resources, which it usually doesn't.

There's a lot of debate on whether or not you should perform an offline defrag at all, but IMHO if you're going to recover a considerable amount of disk space and shrink the physical file considerably, then I say go for it.

The caveat is that an offline defrag should not be considered as and should not be performed as a regular part of your maintenance routine.

Comment

Agreed, I tried to push the moving mailboxes to a newly created store, and then deleting the old store afterwards. But I got overruled on that suggestion. Plus we could avoid the downtime if done that way.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
              The caveat is that an offline defrag should not be considered as and should not be performed as a regular part of your maintenance routine.
              Could you expand upon that?
              GoogleFu is strong with this one ^

Comment

Sure. An offline defrag is not considered something that should be used as a part of an ongoing, regularly occurring maintenance procedure. It's considered a one-off operation and normally undertaken only at the recommendation of MS PSS.

Comment

Is the command line correct?

eseutil.exe /d E:\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\clwsexcm01-SG1\DB\clwsexcm1-sg1-d1.edb /t f:/TEMP/temp.edb

I was looking at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/192185 and they did not have a space in between /t and the drive.

Example: C:\>eseutil /d /ispriv /td:\Sample.edb

Sorry just a little paranoid.

Comment

It needs to have spaces, if I remember correctly. No worries though, if you don't have spaces and it needs them or if you have spaces and it doesn't need them, it will just give you an error and you can correct it and try again. Here's how I would do it:

C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\bin>eseutil.exe /d "E:\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\clwsexcm01-SG1\DB\clwsexcm1-sg1-d1.edb" /t "f:/TEMP/temp.edb"

(I like to use quotes around the path so it doesn't error out, in case there are any spaces in the path).

Comment

Cool.........Thank you.

Comment

Glad to help.

Comment

Working...
                        X