Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IMAP4 on an Exchange 2003 Cluster

Hello People.

My bosses wants to enable the IMAP4 protocol of Exchange 2003, more than to be use by iPhones or something else, is actually for an oracle application (Oracle Financials), as we have a to node cluster I want to know if there's something special that I need to check.

Also we have another exchange server which manage the SMTP to the world, we actually need IMAP just for internal users, so should I enable the service on this server instead of the cluster or I should go to the cluster?.

Last but no least, I would like the implications of enabling IMAP4 on our network.
    As I told before, will be open internally. We are not open any ports outside.

Thank you
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return.

Leonardo da Vinci

Re: IMAP4 on an Exchange 2003 Cluster

This technet article should help. IMAP gets enabled on the cluster nodes that can own the EVS, but set the service to manual and not automatic start. Then you need to add IMAP as a cluster resource.

If it's internal only I don't see any issues, unless the Oracle app also sends email in which case you may need to allow it to relay through Exchange. That's a seperate issue though, and I assume not relevant as your question relates only to IMAP.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
      This technet article should help. IMAP gets enabled on the cluster nodes that can own the EVS, but set the service to manual and not automatic start. Then you need to add IMAP as a cluster resource.

If it's internal only I don't see any issues, unless the Oracle app also sends email in which case you may need to allow it to relay through Exchange. That's a seperate issue though, and I assume not relevant as your question relates only to IMAP.
      Excelent.

Thank you, I apreciate the answer and the link too.

Best regards
      When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return.

Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

No worries, let us know how it goes.
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Nehemoth View Post
          Hello People.

My bosses wants to enable the IMAP4 protocol of Exchange 2003, more than to be use by iPhones or something else, is actually for an oracle application (Oracle Financials), as we have a to node cluster I want to know if there's something special that I need to check.

Also we have another exchange server which manage the SMTP to the world, we actually need IMAP just for internal users, so should I enable the service on this server instead of the cluster or I should go to the cluster?.

Last but no least, I would like the implications of enabling IMAP4 on our network.
          As I told before, will be open internally. We are not open any ports outside.

Thank you
          Just incase you didnt know the iPhone supports Active Sync now and doesnt require IMAP to be enabled for Exchange functionality.

Comment

Originally posted by scurlaruntings View Post
            Just incase you didnt know the iPhone supports Active Sync now and doesnt require IMAP to be enabled for Exchange functionality.

I knew it but thank you. Nor iPhones here.

Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

No worries, let us know how it goes.
              OK, I just went to my servers and configured IMAP4

First I did it on the cluster and later on the server that we use as outside smtp server but I don't know how to use it.

The service is just fine, has started on both server, the cluster configuration just fine.

I try both with outlook 2002 and with mozilla thunderbird.

Incoming server I tried
              The IP Address of the server
              The name of the server
              The FQDM of the server

I always received an authentication error

On Outlook
              Unable to display the folder. This is the root of an IMAP store. The root does not contain messages but may have subfolders that to. To see messages in the subfolders, display the folder list, and then click the subfolder.

On Thunderbird
              Login to the server <name> failed

So if anybody knows what should i need to do let me know.

Thank you

Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

The server name should be the virtual name of the cluster I.e. the same name as configured in Outlook when it is configured to use Exchange, and not the node name. You said the service is started on both servers - it shouldn't be. Set the service to manual start but have it stopped except on the active node of the cluster. In Outlook when you had the error message I take it there was no plus sign where you could expand the folder list? I get that error from my GMail account on first setup but I can expand the list and open the Inbox.
                sigpic
                Cruachan's Blog

Comment

The server name should be the virtual name of the cluster I.e. the same name as configured in Outlook when it is configured to use Exchange, and not the node name. You said the service is started on both servers - it shouldn't be. Set the service to manual start but have it stopped except on the active node of the cluster. In Outlook when you had the error message I take it there was no plus sign where you could expand the folder list? I get that error from my GMail account on first setup but I can expand the list and open the Inbox.

Sorry for the confusion

First I tried the virtual cluster name, same as when configuring outlook for exchange.

When I said is configured on both server, I mean the cluster and the Server that we use as the outside SMTP server.
                  In the cluster is only started on the node which have the resources right now, the another node is on pause (the service).

Not I don't have the option to expand it, also I right click it anyway and choose update folder list nothing happens.

Thank you for the answer, and again excuse me

Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Working...
                  X