Secondary Exchange 2003 Installation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secondary Exchange 2003 Installation

Anything I should worry about? Will I get any user/server disruption during the installation and configuration?

Unfortunately I don't have a secondary test domain to test this out in. It's always good to get some info from those in the mix. I'm not Exchange certified at all but am fairly proficient in Exchange administration.

Any help is appreciated.
    GoogleFu is strong with this one ^

Re: Secondary Exchange 2003 Installation

Is this replacing your current server or is it an additional server to add capacity?

Comment

At some point this will take over as the primary, disemboweling the old one

We're running Exchange currently in a VMware environment that's doing well, using an Equallogic SAN PS4000 series. But the Exchange server is not really setup the way it should be and was done before my time (not the VMware/Equallogic implementation). Basically right now there's an OS vol on VMFS, then a iSCSI NTFS vol that hosts both the Exchange software and both the exchange db and logs.

I figure this is what we should do.

Disk 1 - on VMFS store - VMFS-01
      C: - OS Part - 20gb
      D: - Exch. Part - 10gb

Disk 2 - NTFS Lun - Mail-01
      E: - Exch. DB - 150gb (twice the max size)

Disk 3 - NTFS Lun - Mail-02
      F: - Exch. Logs - 20gb

The full realized idea is that this new exchange server applicably named Mail will be THE Exchange server for our domain/forest.

Comment

Installing the server itself and installing Exchange on it should not have any affect on your current Exchange server or the domain. When you're ready to migrate everything to the new server, you'll want to follow this guide:

http://www.amset.info/exchange/migration.asp

A couple of points:

1. what's the point of creating 2 partitions on disk 1 and putting Exchange on the second partition? There's no performance benefit to doing this as both partitions are contending for the same physical disk. If you want to separate the Exchange components for performance reasons, you should put it on a different physical disk.

2. The maximum recommended Exchange database size as per Microsoft is 100GB. Have you thought about creating additional mailbox stores and splitting your mailboxes up? What Edition of Exchange are you running? You must be running Enterprise Edition if you've got a 150GB database. You can create 3 additional mailbox stores (assuming that you currently have 1 mailbox store and 1 public folder store), so why not create 3 additional mailbox stores and split up the mailboxes, say at 50GB per mailbox store?

Comment

Thanks for the input Joeqwerty! And thanks for the very helpful link.

1. what's the point of creating 2 partitions on disk 1 and putting Exchange on the second partition? There's no performance benefit to doing this as both partitions are contending for the same physical disk. If you want to separate the Exchange components for performance reasons, you should put it on a different physical disk.
          Doesn't the Exchange Analyzer dock for the exchange services to be installed on the same partition as the OS? If not then I could really care less. We don't have 1000+ users, only 230 or so.

2. The maximum recommended Exchange database size as per Microsoft is 100GB. Have you thought about creating additional mailbox stores and splitting your mailboxes up? What Edition of Exchange are you running? You must be running Enterprise Edition if you've got a 150GB database. You can create 3 additional mailbox stores (assuming that you currently have 1 mailbox store and 1 public folder store), so why not create 3 additional mailbox stores and split up the mailboxes, say at 50GB per mailbox store?
          From MS's docs the max Exchange 2003 Std SP2 is 75gb (can you believe it was 16-17gb!) and we're at critical mass at 73gb (I'm getting all users to clean out their deleted and sent and will do a compact on the store). In Std I thought you could only have 1 mailbox store and one public store. The reason for the 150gb is for backups and restorations. MS documentation suggests having at least double the size of the maximum mail store for doing offline repairs.

As for Exchange 2003 Ent. you can have a maximum of 8000gb Exchange DB's (most likely theoretical). And yes if I had Enterprise I would just create another mailbox store, easy as pie.

The reasoning for splitting logs and db for a better granularity for restorations. I've had issues in the past where the db/log vol will get corrupted and my master is only weekly. So I want a faster restoration. Restore the full backup to a new volume and replay through the logs. Also, the exchange software really shouldn't be installed on the same volume as the db/logs. It's going to run into issues.
          Last edited by stamandster; 14th September 2009, 14:39.

Comment

1. It does, but IMHO this is not an issue that needs to be addressed in small scale implementations. I would suggest keeping the OS and Exchange binaries on the same disk/partition.

2. OK. I misunderstood what you meant when you mentioned 150GB. So you have a 73GB database and a 150GB drive. AFAIK, the MS recommendation is to have a drive with free space equivalent to 110% of the database size. When you move the mailboxes to the new server you should wind up with a smaller database as long as the users clean up enough stuff in their mailboxes. You might want to set the Deleted Items Retention time on the server to 0 days a couple of days before you move the mailboxes to make sure that the deleted items don't wind up on the new server. Set it back to the original setting after the move. Make sure you have good backups beforehand.

3. Splitting the database and log files is a good plan, not only for recovery but for performance as well.

Comment

Yeah 110% is the recommendation. I figured it'd be smaller after the move too. Plus I can resize it bigger if need be.

Thanks for the insight Joe! I'll keep the exchange binaries and the OS on the same partition. And then split logs and db on separate volumes.

Comment

Glad to help. Post back after the move to let us know how everything went (or during the move if you have problems).

Comment

10-4! I hope I don't have issues haha.

Comment

The installation seems to have went smoothly. No disruption, I've also just upgraded to Exchange SP2.

I'll be going through the rest of that great resource Joe. Thanks again!

Comment

Glad to help.

Comment

Working...
                      X