Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ahh.. the Basics... :)

Hey all great site!...
    Currently, our company is using POP3 based email thru our hosting company...
    Were getting a new Dell PowerEdge on Win2003S and Exchange Server 2003 next quarter and not having advanced experience with it I wanna buff up...

Luckily,
    I had a junky pc layin around that I loaded win2000 server on and loaded a trial version of exchange2003 on yesterday just to mess around with.

Basically I just wanna know what all I can do with it to mimic the upcoming environment it will be in (without changing my MX records heeh).

Also, If I remember correctly, last time I was managing our domain name at Network Solutions... there are simply 2 IP address fields which you point the DNS1 and DNS2 IP's to your hosting company. How do you "strip" your current hosting company of their ability to host your email while continuing to have them host your website? Know what I mean? At network solutions, all you can do there is point your domain name back to your hosting companies servers.

In other words, ... if my current hosting company is hosting both website and pop3 email... how do host my own email while keeping my website hosted elsewhere?

Thanks guys! Any and all info is appreciated! Ill be around here a bit I think! keep up the cool forums!

Hi datazing,

Normally (from my experience with setting up this sort of thing) you speak to someone reasonably technical at your hosting company and ask them to change their MX records to point SMTP to your server. I dont know what your public / private IP setup is, but here is an example:

1) You have one public IP with your LAN behind a router:

MX record at hosting co. is public IP of router==>router forwards port 25 (SMTP) to private IP of mail server

2) Your mail server has its own public IP
    MX record at hosting co. is public IP of mail server (all SMTP is forwarded)

They should be very familiar with this and be willing to talk you through any issues you need to deal with.

For the outgoing mail, it is normal but not essential to forward all mail from exchange to an SMTP relay server at the hosting co. This means that their DNS is taking care of all the routing etc, reducing the load on your server, and meaning you only have to worry about internal DNS

Hope this helps
    Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Cool, Thanks alot. At least that points me in the right direction. I think just seeing the "big picture" gives me a good starting point.

Just out of curiosity, after I installed Exchage, the POP3 service wont start.. is this normal? I did a little poking around and what i can conclude is that is the reason for the "beamer" snap in?

Thank You!

Comment

The Exchange POP3 service is for POP3 clients to collect mail from your server, not for your server to collect from POP3 mailboxes.

If you need to do that you will need a third party product like VPOP3 or POPBeamer

Tom
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Exactly, cool

Why do you think I cant start the POP3 service?

Comment

coz it's in a DISABLED state in the SERVICES applet.
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
            X