Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exchange 2k3, worth migrate to ?

At this moment our mail server is based on Postfix 2.6.xx with ~2000 users

Somehow we manage to get a free license of Exchange 2k3 ent.

Exchange is instaled on a test machiine.

So, my question is::

1. does it worth migrate from Postfix to exchange ?

a. what equivalent to spamassassin is for exchange ?
    b. support for TLS (STARTLS ) if exist for exchange ?
    c. rbl for exchange if exist ?
    d. easy of backup ( tar or something EASY and FAST for exch ) if exist ?
    e. squirrelmail or roundcube vs OWA ( i think is more featured squirrelmail + plugins )
    f. resource for running exchange compared to postfix ?

The ideea is what advantages do we have if we'll migrate to exch 2k3 ent ?

Re: exchange 2k3, worth migrate to ?

Originally posted by fritz001 View Post
    does it worth migrate from Postfix to exchange ?
    You're the only one who can answer that...

What problems do you have with Postfix? What will Exchange give you that Postfix won't? 2000 users is a large setup. You need to research exactly what you expect to gain from this and see if it is of value to your company.

Most of your other questions can be answered by Google...

SpamAssassin is available for Exchange. As is Exclaimer (my preference) and various others.

NTBackup on Windows Server 2003 will backup Exchange.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Exchange as an MTA in my opinion is more robust than Postfix. Postfix itself is just a basic MTA. Everything else like Spamassasin ClamAV Squirrel etc has to be integrated and depending on you're Linux knowledge and Distro can be a pain in the a55 (unless your using Webmin of course )

Obviously from an ROI perspective Postifx is better. Its FOSS. Exchange is proprietary.
      Exchange 2003 has the IMF feature and the ability to cross reference RBL's but its not as robust as SpamAssasin.
      TLS of course is supported in Exchange as well as a host of other protocols. In regards to backup you could use NTbackup which is the Windows native equivalent of a Tarball.
      OWA vs SquirrelMail there just web front ends.

The essential diffrence is as a collborative suite Exchange is far more robust than Postfix. Its simply more feature rich.Postfix is just a straight forward MTA that allows you to POP or retrieve mail via IMAP (assuming Dovecot is installed..) and send mail over SMTP. It doesnt include the more robust features that Exchange has like Active Sync, RPC(s) over HTTP, Public Folders, Support for a plethora of mobile devices etc. Exchange as a package allows you to accomplish more for your end user. There simply isnt an equivalent to Exchange in the Linux world. Zimbra or Citadel although great products just dont come close.

Comment

I have quite a good experience with postfix and qmail and a few with exchange.

but considering easy of admin, performance, easy of backup/migraton, spam filtering, total cost what would you choose: postfix or exchange ?

Comment

Performance is a little subjective since we don't know how many servers you'd be using and what sort of load they'd each be under.

Ease of administration is also a little subjective, since that depends on the administrator.

Ease of backup - depends entirely on what backup strategy you opt for.

I use Exchange. It works for me. We really can't tell you definitively whether Exchange or Postfix will be better for your environment.
          Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by fritz001 View Post
            I have quite a good experience with postfix and qmail and a few with exchange.

but considering easy of admin, performance, easy of backup/migraton, spam filtering, total cost what would you choose: postfix or exchange ?
            Postfix costs you zero. Exchange can run into thousands.

You can decide this easily by accessing your user requirements your business's requirements and "how" much your willing to spend. That decision though ultimately is yours.

Comment

With regards to TLS, Exchange 2003 doesn't support opportunist TLS. It is either on or off. Therefore you would need to run two SMTP virtual servers to support it, with sites that can support TLS being told to use the second one.
              Exchange 2007 supports opportunist TLS.

Trying to compare Exchange with any other product other than Notes is rather difficult. Yes it does email, but it does so much more else. It is a collaboration platform. With Exchange 2003 you do get licences for Outlook 2003, if you don't use Outlook then you are throwing away about 70% of functionality. A lot of it can be done through OWA, if you are using Internet Explorer. The OWA support for any other browser is weak.

On the plus side, support is easy to come by and the forums are a lot less hostile than the *nix forums which seem to all presume that everyone else is a geek and if you are not then you are not worthy.

Simon.
              --
              Simon Butler
              Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
              More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
              Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
              In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

How many CALs do you have? Purchasing 2000 or so of them may very swiftly kill any idea of migrating.

Exchange 2003 does come with the IMF, but it's a pretty weak anti-spam product IMO, and anyway you'll need a decent AV product that can integrate with Exchange so might as well get one that does email security too.
                BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                sigpic
                Cruachan's Blog

Comment

El Reg have an article today looking at how IBM could learn from the flop formerly known as Vista and use it to help them rebrand their email platform, which it appears is generally regarded as legacy despite the fact that it's still actively maintained. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09...otus_branding/

Originally posted by cruachan
                  How many CALs do you have? Purchasing 2000 or so of them may very swiftly kill any idea of migrating.
                  Indeed. The cost of an Exchange licence pales in comparison to the CALs.

Originally posted by Family Guy
                  "Hey, look, Dad! They have 12-packs of kidneys!"

But you got to buy the cooler, too. That's how they get you.
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post

Exchange 2003 does come with the IMF, but it's a pretty weak anti-spam product IMO, and anyway you'll need a decent AV product that can integrate with Exchange so might as well get one that does email security too.

We have only 10 CALs Exchange, purchasing another 1900CALs seems to be a little VERYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY expensive

For me as a mail admin one of the biggest problem is HUGE ammount of spam , i have to fight, also legit mails being or not rejected by spam filters...

At this point Postfix+CLAMAV+Spamassassins seems to be the best soluttion we have.

And... because of those morons from yahoo! i have to used also DKIM and DomainKeys.

I don't know if Exch 2003 supports DKIM or DomainKeys...

Comment

Exchange doesn't support Domain Keys or whatever name Yahoo are using for it now. It isn't something I have missed either. If you are having problems delivering email to Yahoo without them then you need to look at your setup.

Spam is a problem for everyone, doesn't matter what email server you are using. If it is running SMTP it will get spam.

Simon.
                      --
                      Simon Butler
                      Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                      More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                      Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                      In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Working...
                      X