Attachment being striped when sending to Exchange 2007 receipent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attachment being striped when sending to Exchange 2007 receipent

I have a Windows 2003 Standard Edition server, running Exchange 2003 Standard edition w/SP2. One of my users is sending to another domain which has an Exchange 2007 server. The issue at hand is that my user when sending to this other domain is having his attachment stripped. We tested with another receipt who also had Exchange 2007 and the same issue occurred. The Exchange 2007 admin provided me with this info:

I think the issue related to malformed MIME. The content type of the email is not correct; it is multipart/related, and should be multipart/mixed

Is this something I have to change on my server? Or the user's Outlook 2007 installation?
    Be easy on me, I'm here to learn

Re: Attachment being striped when sending to Exchange 2007 receipent

Does the email being sent contain a HTML based signature or does the email content have that or pictures of some sort? Have you tried emailing as plain text with attachment?

Comment

Nope just a basic signature, no pictures or HTML.

Comment

I see. Try sending in a format of plain text. The default can be set using a contact in Outlook as well, so you just test on one contact

Comment

Problem is these are asshole lawyers, they say fix it and don't bother me until it is. I hate testing crap on there laptops, they bitch and moan about it all the time. I will see if I can find time for him to do that. Is making the change of format done in Outlook or the server?

Comment

You can do it on both I believe. Would be best to initially test on a laptop using a contact.

With regards to getting the problem fixed, why do they think you can fix a problem yet don't want you to investigate further? Know what you mean though. You'll have to take a deep breath, go an change it on their laptop, bite your lip when they moan and try and talk very calmly to them. Maybe slightly quieter and slower than usual. I found that useful before with irate people or moaning users.

In fact, test with another laptop first or from another email address from outside to them. Rule out it being an issue at the other end.

Good luck and keep us posted

Comment

Where do you make the change on Outlook & Exchange 2003? I am going to get to test on his laptop later today

Comment

This should help.

http://email.about.com/cs/outlooktips/qt/et052902.htm

You can by looking at the Properties of a Contact as well and have it just take effect on certain contacts.

Comment

How about on the server side? Is any one format better than the other?

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
                    This should help.

http://email.about.com/cs/outlooktips/qt/et052902.htm

You can by looking at the Properties of a Contact as well and have it just take effect on certain contacts.
                    I meant to change the MIME type

Comment

Also stripped in RTF, though it shows in the body of the email the name of the attachment <<Deposition Objections.doc>>

Comment

I believe the MIME type of Multipart/mixed is Text/Plain format that you set in Outlook. Was it already set to Text format before?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIME

Comment

Not to make more hoops for you to jump through but here's a few suggestions to try and narrow down the problem:

1. Send an email with the same attachment to the recipient in question from Gmail, Hotmail, etc. and see if the same thing happens.

2. Send an email with the same attachment to a user on a different Exchange 2007 server if you know of one and see if the same thing happens. If you don't know of one, PM me and I'll give you my email address on my home server and you can send it to me.

Comment

yea I tried a different Exchange 2007 server same issue. I was able to find an article that mentioned the issue being the MIME type, I just don't know how to change it

Comment

Re: Attachment being striped when sending to Exchange 2007 recipient

Exchange 2003 shouldn't have any problems sending email to an Exchange 2007 server. While Microsoft may do some crazy things, having two versions of one of their flagship products have this kind of problem is not one of them.

I would be pointing the finger at third party interference here. AV, Antispam or a firewall with SMTP scanning functionality. Something scanning the message, then putting it back together again in a different way.

Simon.
                              --
                              Simon Butler
                              Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                              More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                              Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                              In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Working...
                              X