Email Message Size Limit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email Message Size Limit

We have Exchange Server 2003 Enterprise Edition running on Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition with all the latest OS and Exchange updates. We have a 25MB email size limit for both sending and receiving at the global and SMTP level and a 10MB limit at the mailbox level. A user recently sent an email from his home email to his work email, which we host. The email had an attachment that was 8.5MB in size but in my Exchange server SMTP log the incoming message shows a size of 11.5MB. Of course this exceeded his 10MB mailbox limit. I'm curious as to where the additional 3MB came from. I know that there will be several things added to the header, such as SCL rating, etc. but 3MB seems like way more than it should be for just headers and such. Any clue as to what this is and how to figure out where the additional 3MB came from?

Re: Email Message Size Limit

Is their email hosted on Exchange 2007? I know that adds overhead to emails.

Comment

Re: Email Message Size Limit

It's Exchange 2003. I believe it has to do with the MIME encoding and the fact that Exchange size limits are predicated on the encoded size and not the raw size.

Comment

Working...
      X