Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is possible to use Exch. 2003 and 2007 within the same domain?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is possible to use Exch. 2003 and 2007 within the same domain?

I would have a question concerning migration. There is a single domain with 2 Exchange servers 2003 installed on 2 different AD Sites. Is possible to migrate one site and not the other?

Might consider to migrate the other site in the future too... when the budget for a new server there will be available...

Thanks.
    Vladan
    Last edited by Sembee; 18th August 2009, 19:10.

Re: Is possible to use Exch. 2003 and 2007 within the same domain?

You should be able to. The process will be a transition and you move the mailboxes of the first site onto Exchange 2007. You then don't complete all the tasks carried out when finalising a transition to 2007 and removing Exchange 2003.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Virtual.

I should manage that. I hope. The other think is that on the first site there is also proxy RPC Exchange server (installed on a workstation PC). This functionality I'll wish to "migrate" to real exchange 2007. Which is an Edge role, tell me if I'm wrong.

The only thing is I'll have to change is the external dns name. (or, I would have to give the same FQDN to the new Exchange 2007 server as the old RPC proxy. Or rather rename Exchange 2007 after to avoid conflicts.

It'll not be a DC, just a member server... so rename should not be an issue.

Thanks
      Vladan
      Last edited by Sembee; 18th August 2009, 19:10.

Comment

Originally posted by Vladan View Post
        It'll not be a DC, just a member server... so rename should not be an issue
        The Google results for "rename exchange server" would seem to suggest otherwise...
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by Vladan View Post
          Thanks for the reply, Virtual.

I should manage that. I hope. The other thing is that on the first site there is also proxy RPC Exchange server (installed on a workstation PC). This functionality I'll wish to "migrate" to real exchange 2007. Which is an Edge role, tell me if I'm wrong.

The only thing is I'll have to change is the external dns name. (or, I would have to give the same FQDN to the new Exchange 2007 server as the old RPC proxy. Or rather rename Exchange 2007 after to avoid conflicts.

It'll not be a DC, just a member server... so rename should not be an issue.

Thanks
          Vladan
          Correct me if i'm wrong. Is that for allowing people to remotely connect to their email via Outlook? Exchange 2007 has Outlook Anywhere. An Edge Transport role is for SMTP Port 25 traffic and is often used for antispam and antivirus scanning of emails before they hit the internal mailbox and hub transport server. I don't use the Edge Transport server myself but can see the benefits.
          Last edited by Virtual; 20th August 2009, 08:48. Reason: spelling errors

Comment

While an Edge Transport server may be the "preferred" option, in smaller companies it can be difficult to convince management to buy another server and set of licences. In these circumstances, it's possible to get a decent level of anti-spam and anti-virus protection by installing something like Exclaimer on the Exchange server.

Also, a decent business antivirus package should have some form of support for Exchange mailboxes.
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Virtual: Is that for allowing people to remotely connect to their email via Outlook?

Yes we have a some sales people with mobile computer using RPC over HTTP with our Exchange 2003 already. I would like to use the "Outlook Anywhere" funcion for them afterwards. I will install the Edge role in the same server on our principal site.

I'll have to make a change on the DNS to point to the new server. It's our FAI who will do it for me.

gforceindustries: The first level of spam is successfuly treated by our FAI.

Thanks
              Vladan
              Last edited by Sembee; 23rd August 2009, 15:30.

Comment

Outlook Anywhere IS RPC/HTTPS (damn marketing people.... )
                You don't need an edge server for it -- as stated, edge is a stand alone role which is only for processing incoming emails -- it cannot be combined with any other Exchange 2007 role
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The Edge transport role is pointless. Its only for processing SMTP traffic and nothing else. The CAS still has to be accesible from the internet for RPC calls. Its just an unnesscary and expensive alternative that doesnt add anymore security to you're exchange topology.

Comment

The Edge Transport role is beneficial, if you don't allow external access to emails. It also gives protection to the mailboxes should an internal server have all remaining roles installed on the same box.

Comment

An Edge is pointless. If it could do OWA, Outlook Anywhere and Exchange ActiveSync I would be putting them in all over the place. However I think the ISA team would take exception to Exchange haven't that functionality.

I simply cannot justify its deployment. I can do almost everything that an Edge can do with third party tools for much less than an Exchange 2007 licence. I can also use an old machine or a VM with a 32 bit copy of Windows 2003, allowing the reuse of licences.

The only feature that I cannot do is safe list aggregation, and that isn't something I really care about.

Simon.
                      --
                      Simon Butler
                      Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                      More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                      Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                      In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Thanks guys for the replys..

I'll install Exchange 2007 server with Three out of four roles. Except the one which does unified messaging... We're not ready for that...

We are only about 150 users. My exchange server will be virtualized. Laying on a ESX 4 with 24GB of RAM.

Since our group is Microsoft partners we have there is no worry about the Exchange Licensing.

The only think is to prepare correctly the migration and the timing (downtime for the users etc). If you know about some Reference PDF's concerning a preparation and the migration tasks, I'll be gratefull.

Thanks
                        Vladan
                        Last edited by Sembee; 23rd August 2009, 14:55.

Comment

If your carrying out the transition, there shouldn't be any downtime. The only possible one would be when mailboxes are being moved but that can be done out of hours. It is easy to move mailboxes back as well should there be a problem.

Comment

Working...
                          X