No announcement yet.

"inconsistent state" on Restored MailStore

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "inconsistent state" on Restored MailStore

Had a power outage last night and I couldn't remount the storage group. I restored from Last night tape (before the outage) and I get:

Error Database is in inconsistent state starting database

please help...

Re: "inconsistent state" on Restored MailStore

What version, edition and SP of Exchange? What version, edition and SP of Windows Server?

Have you Googled that error message?

What have you tried? Have you tried the steps highlighted in this KB article?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

sorry Exchange 2003 SP2.

most replies on google are before "restore from backup" (last resort)

My backup set should work....

I'm trying to avoid eseutil repair as time is an issue that's why I went directly to my backup.

Use esutil to do a soft recovery on the database and replay the last logs.

Make sure you copy the restored database and log files to somewhere else as well before doing so.

I have had the same issue before and used eseutil and isinteg. Will try to track down the commands I used at the time.

reboot server

leave 3 minutes

power off

remove USB HDDs

plug Usb hdd when logon screen appears (possibly two attempts)

run the below

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>cd c:\program files\exchsrvr\bin

C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\bin>eseutil /p d:\exchange_data1\MailboxStore1.edb

It will sit at "deleting fixup table" for 10 mins, any longer re-run command

C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\bin>eseutil /d d:\exchange_data1\MailboxStore1.edb /t d:\exchangetemp\exchdfrg.edb

C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\bin>isinteg -s Netbios Name of Exchange 2003 server -test -alltests

IF this produces errors then run:

C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\bin>isinteg -s Netbios Name of Exchange 2003 server -fix -test -alltests

Delete log files (move to folder)

Mount store

If it happens again, create another folder and use System Manager to change the location of the mdb file.

If it hangs during the above for 10 minutes or more, start again. It will be successful on the second attempt.

Have left steps in applicable to us at the time, maybe not to you, and renamed as appropriate, so not to give real names.
          Last edited by Virtual; 18th August 2009, 16:44.

thanks for all your replies. Called Microsoft, and 6 hours later, we were back alive. Ended up restoring from previous night backup. (and then some...)

thanks again,