No announcement yet.

Attachment manipulation on Exchange server 2003

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attachment manipulation on Exchange server 2003

I would like to manipulate all emails with certain attachment type to another type on exchange server 2003. In more details, when an email will be sent with attachment, the attachment type will be inspected. If it will be from type X, it will be saved, then converted to type y (using external application) and then it will be sent out with the new file type.

I guess scripting is needed here, but my main question is where to do it on the exchange server, where to call the script from, ...

Can anyone explain (for dummies) where and when on the exchange server it can be done?

Thanks for the help,

Re: Attachment manipulation on Exchange server 2003

Standard edition? Enterprise edition? What service pack?

In any case I don't think this is something you can do natively with Exchange.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

We use Echange Server stadart edition 6.5 with SP2.

Is it possible to do it on it?

If not, where should such a procedure take place?

You will probably need a custom programmed event sink to do this but you could investigate 3rd party software like policy patrol which does have the ability to manipulate emails "on the fly"
        ( -- look for Enterprise edition)
        From a quick look, it will let you create a rule which will:
        Check if attachment of particular type exists
        Run application (with option to "save and replace message")

I can't take it further, but this is getting well towards meeting your need
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **