Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perrmissions on Address Books In Exchange 2003

Hi
    I have a 2 probs I need help with and Im hoping someone can help...

I need to hide All users all contacts etc from my users view in outlook 2003 .... in adsi edit which group needs to have read permissions denied etc

I have created another address book and given myself under my domain login full rights to the address book ..but from within outlook I cant add contacts to the address book which I thought I would be able to ...

Im not an exchange expert I know my way around it but a bit confused why if the permissions are set it wont let me add to it ....

Prob 2

I created another address book denied everyone and auth users (oops) and deleted it ...(oops agan) so anyway in adsi edit the address book is still the
    CN-Test1

How do I reset the permissions on it so I can delete it properly ... someone suggested but just want clarification in case I got it wrong

dsacls CN=Configuration,CN=Services,CN=company,CN=Address Lists Container,CN=All Address Lists,Cn=Test1 /R Everyone

Re: Perrmissions on Address Books In Exchange 2003

can anyone help with this or is everyone stumped !?!

Comment

Oh no, quality of service is way down again -- no reply in just over 4 hours! There goes the bonus this month

Crashpolo, please remember that all staff and members here give up their free time to help solve problems, and operate around the world so daytime for you may be the middle of the night for the relevant expert.

If you really need help on this sort of timescale, Microsoft offer a very good (but expensive) support service by phone. All major credit cards are accepted.

With your particular issue, and without ever trying this, in general an explicit DENY permission beats an ALLOW. Not selecting allow (an implicit deny) would stop someone getting access but would be beaten by an allow for a different security group
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

ooooh sarcasm ... and I was only curious as people come and go on this forum all the time and Im here on site trying to get this working so I can then vanish again !!!

And why pay fro microsoft help thats just daft...your bonus is really now all shot to pieces

So why cant I add to the address book

Cheers
        G

Comment

HI ok

Reading up on DSACLS

and I managed to get
          dsacls "CN=Test1,CN=All Address Lists,CN=Address Lists Container,CN=MyCompany,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=flexcleck ,DC=local"
          /I:T /P:N /G "NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users:CC"

To unprotect the dodgy address book and grant create child objects to it also using GR too...

How would I go about deleting this pesky address book or granting full rights for auth users and everyone to it ?

Thanks again
          G

Comment

Still working on this if anyone comes across a solution let me know cheers

Comment

Let me see if I understand:

1. You have a test address list that you created, messed up, and fixed. You now want to delete this address list? Is that right? If so, right click the address list and select delete from the context menu.

2. You want to make it so nobody can see the All Contacts address list? Is that right? If so, why not delete it as it isn't needed for the normal operation of Exchange?

If I'm off on either of these points, please post back with your current situation (leave out the earlier stuff if it's no longer relevant). Thanks.

Comment

Hi

Cant Delete from ADSI cos permissions are ruined ...

"An invalid directorpathname was passed"

So im trying to in dsacls restore all the permissions so I can delete but so far not having much luck

In system manager the address books no longer show up

Comment

Try using method 2 from this article on the affected Address List:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=286296

Comment

Brilliant!!!

how do I find the CN name of another address book which I cant see ?

Comment

Originally posted by crashpolo View Post
                      Brilliant!!!

how do I find the CN name of another address book which I cant see ?
                      You can start by reading the forum rules. Thread bumping is frowned upon, and so is abusing other forum members who are trying to help you.
                      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                      sigpic
                      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

How on earth have I abused anyone ??? I said brilliant as he found what I needed !!! and then iasked another question ...dear me ! Apology ?

Comment

I think you'll need to use ADSIEdit to see the Address List if it's not visible in ESM.

Comment

Cant see it in ADSI as it throws a wobbly when you try and view it one address book is sorted thanks very much just the other now

if I called it MIS-Test you reckon the CN name is the same ! as the same command for the other one aint working

Also how do I add contacts to these address books thru the outlook clients

Thanks for all your help !!

dsacls "CN=MIS-Test,CN=All Address Lists,CN=Address Lists Container,CN=company,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=flexcleck ,DC=local"

refuses to run Cheers
                            Last edited by crashpolo; 7th August 2009, 15:32.

Comment

Originally posted by crashpolo
                              refuses to run
                              If you EVER post petty replies like the ones you have above, you will not have a chance to run. That option shall removed from your hands.

As already stated this site is serviced by member who generously give of their free time to help other with problems not of their making. Attitudes like yours are unfortunately becoming more common and will not be tolerated like this again.

It would be very unwise of you to reply to this post unless you have a technical question to ask in a civil tone.
                              1 1 was a racehorse.
                              2 2 was 1 2.
                              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                              X