No announcement yet.

RPC over HTTPS and SSL Certificate

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPC over HTTPS and SSL Certificate

We have already a working OWA on a front-end server with a SSL certificate issued by an Internal CA.
    On my Back-End Exchange Server 2003, I don't use a certificate.
    For Outlook and RPC over HTTPS does this communication use the front-en certificate or the back-end certificate??
    Thank you!
    Last edited by Sembee; 4th August 2009, 00:03. Reason: Email Address Removal

Re: RPC over Https and SSL Certificate

I would remove your email address unless you particularly like spam.

Outlook connects to the RPC procy server for Outlook Anywhere to work, all you need to do on the clients with certificates is install the root certificate into the trusted root certification authorities store for the machine. The best way to do this is via auto-enrollment for domain member machines, loads of articles on
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    Cruachan's Blog

Re: RPC over Https and SSL Certificate

Personally I wouldn't be using an internally generated SSL certificate. I find they are simply a pain with RPC over HTTPS. When you can purchase a certificate for US$30/year the headaches of getting the certificate to work are simply not worth it.

The certificate only needs to be on the frontend server. No certificate at all should be installed on the backend server.

Simon Butler
      Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
      Exchange Resources List:
      In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.