Setup smarthost to cPanel account

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setup smarthost to cPanel account

Our domain is hosted with a cPanel based shared hosting company only for website.

We have an Exchange 2003 server that is assigned with two dedicated IP's provided by our ISP with rDNS configured. So all outgoing emails are send using these two ISP lines and all works fine.

Since we are going to change the ISP, and the new ISP is refusing to set rDNS we are going to use our cPanel based shared hosting account to send our mails - so we will be configuring our Exhcnage 2003 to [smarthost] to forward all the emails to the hosting server.

I need to what I have to do in the cPanel account to make this work.
    ________
    silversurfer reviews
    Last edited by smartcard; 25th January 2011, 03:40.

Re: Setup smarthost to cPanel account

Please let us know what research you've already done, so we know which suggestions you'll have already seen.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by smartcard View Post
      Our domain is hosted with a cPanel based shared hosting company only for website.

We have an Exchange 2003 server that is assigned with two dedicated IP's provided by our ISP with rDNS configured. So all outgoing emails are send using these two ISP lines and all works fine.

Since we are going to change the ISP, and the new ISP is refusing to set rDNS we are going to use our cPanel based shared hosting account to send our mails - so we will be configuring our Exhcnage 2003 to [smarthost] to forward all the emails to the hosting server.

I need to what I have to do in the cPanel account to make this work.
      Firstly get another ISP. If they cannot understand nor are willing to create a reverse record for you then there a woefully inept service provider as it is they who "own" the subnet and only they can create the PTR record for you.

It would be a better practice to have you're email sent via DNS directly from you're exchange not via smarthost. Kind of defeats the object of having you're own MTA when it has to send its email elsewhere to be relayed. Additionally if the smarthost is down then you cannot send email. Via DNS gives you more control over you're own exchange. Either way if you must go down the smarthost route then you must configure you're webhosts's MTA to allow you're IP address to relay mail via it. For that you will need to contact you're host provider or read the cPanel manual on how to whitelist you're IP address for relay assuming you have access to the front end.
      Last edited by scurlaruntings; 30th July 2009, 18:13.

Comment

I have to agree - an ISP which will not provide rDNS to business users is clearly not a business class ISP. Using a smarthost is a last resort for me, the only customer we support who uses one is on a dynamic IP because a certain cable ISP in the UK hasn't worked out yet that in the real world business broadband requires a static IP.

Anyway, if you absolutely must use the smarthost setup then the best way to do it is setup an SMTP Connector to relay all outbound mail to the ISP. Check this link.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
        X