Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2000 recovery process

Hello Guys,

right now I have a working exchange server 2000 on win2000 server, my network is based on AD2003,

I am also taking full backup of exchange server database and it is coming successful each night, I am using veritas backup,

Now the worrying part, I have never restored any exchange server and I am uncomfortable with lack of knowledge, can somebody share their knowledge on restore process?

If my exchange server goes down, how can I restore the database on a new machine? when I prepared the new machine do I have to give same name like old machine? How do I restore from veritas?

After succesfully restoring exchange on new temporary machine and suppose after that I am able to bring up the original machine(may be by fixing some H/W Problem) what will happen? will I have two exchange server?

Is there a documented recovery process some where?

Please help!

Re: Exchange 2000 recovery process

Almost guaranteed that the procedure will be documented, yes.

While people will probably post some suggestions here, you'll learn far more by doing a bit of research than you will just reading other people's answers.

Perhaps you could replicate your existing setup in a lab or virtual environment and practice restore procedures in there.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I have tried google to some success,

Comment

Perhaps you could give us some indication of what you've learned, and therefore what specific questions you still have?
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I am confused after the research in following regards,

Suppose I have to restore the exchange on a new machine,

1, do I have to name the new server same as old server? or do I have to restore the windows server with system state?

2, can I give new name to the new server while installing win2000? after I install win2000 do I have to install exch2000 in disaster recovery mode? and then restore exchange database on a new server using veritas backup,

3, suppose after installing the exchange on the new temp machine I am able to bring the original machine back up and running, what will happen then?

4, can I install win2003 and exchange 2003 on a new machine and then restore exchange 2000 data from backup on new machine?

Please bare with my questions if they look stupid as I don't have any experience in this,

Basically what I am looking for is, suppose my current exchange machine goes down (MB or CPU problem) and I have to restore exchange on a new machine how should I proceed? Ideally I would like to restore on a new hardware,

Comment

I am not writing out the complete process.
            However as long as the machine is NOT a domain controller, it is actually quite easy.

Reset the computer account (DO NOT DELETE IT).
            Rebuild Windows and add it to the domain with the same name.
            Patch and install IIS etc.
            Reinstall Exchange, using the disasterrecovery switch from the command line.
            Restore the database.

Now depending on whether the failure meant loss of storage, there are further steps that could be employed, including the replay of the transaction logs.

If the server is also a domain controller then things get a lot more complicated, because you have to restore the domain from the system state first, then you can restart Exchange.

Simon.
            --
            Simon Butler
            Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
            More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
            Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
            In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

I recently have been concerned about this problem and have since built a test environment to restore exchange 2000 data on windows 2000 server. The first thing I noticed was that the ntbackup was not backing up the store because it was corrupt so I had to spent a weekend using eseutil and isinteg. In the mean time I had to dismount the store and stop the information store service and physically copy the store in explorer to an external hard disk. I found that this backup could not be copied and restored to my test server because although the server was the same name, because Exchange is Active Directory integrated it will not work.
              I then looked into the possibility of having a second exchange in the same domain. This was possible so I tried it with only partial success. The store mounted but would not communicate with the clients, which I believe is due to the server name being different.
              So, has anyone on this forum backed up and restored Exchange to different hardware successfully and if so would they be prepared to explain the process?
              Thanks, Paul

Comment

If you're talking about restoring Exchange to a new server if there's a catastrophic failure of the original server then there's a pretty simple process to restore it to new hardware and keep the same server name. I've used this process for Exchange 2003 several times with great success. Here's a link to an article that explains the process for Exchange 2000:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297289

Comment

Thanks very much for the reply. I tried this with partial success. The exchange server took the copied data and allowed the store to be mounted. When opening outlook as a user to check the data, I was allowed in but saw no emails. When checking the exchange server I could see that instead of logging onto the mailbox it would create a new blank one. Does anyone know to get the users to be able to open the restored mailbox rather than creating a new one?

Paul

Comment

You need to reconnect the disconnected mailboxes (with a hint of what to Google )

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=exc...onnect+mailbox

First result is one of Daniel's articles. Try that and see if that helps.
                    Gareth Howells

Comment

Thanks very much Gareth. I couldn't find the right words to bring up what I wanted. Whilst searching I did however discover a usefull tool ExMerge.
                      I tried the solution in your link and eventually got it to work. I created an exchange account with the users that needed to be reconnected and of course this does not work but after deleting all worked fine. It's been a great learning experience and a big thankyou to all that helped.
                      Paul

Comment

Working...
                      X