Email Sending Error

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email Sending Error

Hi guys, the users in my company get the following error message frequently while sending emails:

The e-mail address could not be found. Perhaps the recipient moved to a different e-mail organization, or there was a mistake in the address. Check the address and try again. <mail.abc.com #5.1.0>

They are able to send the emails after retrying. It seems like they will get this problem when trying to send to local recipients (or a mixture of local and external recipients).

Has anyone encounter this before?

Re: Email Sending Error

Details?

What mail server? Version? Edition? Service pack?

What mail client? Version? Service pack?

All we can assume is that you're either running Exchange 2000 or 2003.

What diagnostics have you tried? What were the results?

Please, help us help you.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I'm so sorry that I have not included the details..

it is Exchange 2003 running on SP2

For clients, we have a mixture of 2003 and 2007..

i have not tried to perform any diagnostics because i do not know where to start with..

Comment

Assuming the server hostname shown in the error messages is mail.abc.com as per your first post (which I guess is a generic name)... is abc.com your internet domain name, with MX records pointing to this server? Is abc.com also your Active Directory domain name?
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

yes, abc.com is our internet domain name and MX records are pointed to this server.. we actually have multiple internet domain names as the company has some subsidiary companies which are sharing the exchange server.. we have MX records pointing to all the rest of the domain names (e.g. abc.com.sg, xyz.com etc.)

abc.com is not the original active directory domain name as we were using abc.com.sg previously until the management wants abc.com to be the standard domain name.. however, we still have some users who are still holding on to the abc.com.sg email addresses..

Comment

Is DNS correctly configured? If you're not sure what is required, Google 'split dns zone'

Management often make such decisions without realising the technical aspects behind them. Which is why such decisions should be discussed with IT. I avoid using 'public' TLDs for AD domains like a plague, purely due to the headaches it can cause.
            Gareth Howells

Comment

Thanks Gareth, we do have internal and external DNS servers and they have been setup properly.. LAN users will use the AD's DNS while external users will use the public DNS to resolve the domain names, MX records etc..

the strange thing is that the problem does not occur every time.. it will happen to different users at different times..

Comment

Any pattern? For example, does it only fail when users are onsite connecting through Outlook, or when offsite using OWA (or using Outlook through RPC over HTTPS), or when using Blackberries or...
                Gareth Howells

Comment

Most of the time is using Outlook, there are only a handful of BB users but i did have an user who encountered the problem while using the BB.. i have not heard of anyone who got this problem while using OWA, but it might be due to low usage too..

Comment

Could the system possibly be overloaded? How many users (and how many get this issue), how many Exchange servers, how many Global Catalogs?

I'd be surprised if you were able to overload a decently specced server though... but then of course a "decent spec" depends on the number of users.
                    Gareth Howells

Comment

there are about 150 mailboxes, but only about 50-60 using Outlook.. the rest are using POP..

only users who are using Outlook (Exchange) will get the problem.. people who are using POP do not get t his problem at all..

i also have BB users who encounter this problem too..

we have only 1 Exchange server but we have 2 GCs, the other one being the file server..

Comment

The error means what it says.
                        The user doesn't exist at the server the message was delivered to.
                        However what it does NOT mean is that the message was delivered to the correct server, or a server configured to accept email for that user.

Furthermore that is not an Exchange message, so it is being generated by the remote server.

I usually see this problem when the email is being sent to a major email provider (or a domain hosted by a major provider) who is most likely using a cluster of servers for the inbound MX records. One of those servers is not configured correctly.

The problem is proving it and getting the problem resolved. Most of it is outside of your control.
                        The most you can do is use SMTP logging to see if you can link up the email message sending time with the failure, so you can see which IP address the message was delivered to. Then the recipient needs to contact the host who is rejecting the message and ask them to correct it.

Simon.
                        --
                        Simon Butler
                        Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                        More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                        Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                        In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Working...
                        X