Using Exchange and GMail Hosted

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Exchange and GMail Hosted

Some of my users don't like that we've migrated to Exchange 2003 SP2, and want to go back to GMail hosted. I don't like their plan, so I'm looking for a way to have emails sent to users hit both GMail and the Exchange Server, so they can check their emails using either or. I'm thinking it's related to the adjustment of the MX Records. Currently the Exchange server holds the priority of 5 over the GMail hosted ones, which range from 10 to 30 (multiple records for failovers provided by GMail). If I adjust that to the same priority as the GMail ones will this work?

Kind Regards,

Pritesh

Re: Using Exchange and GMail Hosted

No. That's not how MX priorities work. Having two MX records with the same priority will not cause the email to be delivered to both. It will cause the email to "round robin", so some email will go to one host and some email will go to the other host.

IMHO, the best you could do would be to set up Contacts in your AD for all the GMail addresses and set up forwarding on the user accounts to forward a copy of all email to the Contacts.

Comment

Well, they're not GMail addresses, they're addresses @ domain.com, which is the same as the domain name the Exchange Server is taking on.

Pritesh

Comment

So your internal Exchange server hosts email for domain.com and they want GMail to host email for domain.com and you want them to be able to get their email from either one and you want to know if having two MX records with the same priority will make all the email get delivered to both systems? Is that about right?

If so, the answer is still no. See my previous post on why it won't work.

Did they give you any reasons as to why they want to use GMail?

Comment

Ok, sounds good to me. I will relay that along to the team. They'll just have to deal with it. Exchange offers more than GMail anyway, so they'll deal with it. They didn't give specific reasons, but I'll handle the convincing part lol.

Thanks for your help.

Pritesh

Comment

Glad to help. Good luck.

Comment

Having seen this setup before I would suspect they are not using GMail, but Google Apps. I've seen more than one small company use this setup for their email as having Google host it and spam filter it is often cheaper than a full blown mail security package at the Exchange Server and also means email doesn't have to be managed internally.

The only way I can think of to do what they request is use a third party POP connector that can pull the emails into Exchange and also leave a copy in the Google inbox, although like you I can see no valid reason to do this. They'd be better off having Exchange handle all the email with the added benefits of calendars, public folders etc.
              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
              X