Ex2003 - strip attachments sent to particular addresses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex2003 - strip attachments sent to particular addresses

We are using Exchange 2003 Enterprise SP2.

There are two users with blackberries that receive emails on their phones. We do not have a blackberry server and cannot justify the cost with just two users.

They do not tie in directly in any way with our exchange server. Instead we created contacts that point to their blackberry email address. Any email sent to their exchange email is automatically sent to the contact as well.

Is there any way to strip attachments from emails going to particular email addresses from within Exchange? There is no need to receive attachments on their blackberries especially considering some attachments have important information in them.
    CCA: XenApp 5.0

Re: Ex2003 - strip attachments sent to particular addresses

Exchange cannot do that natively. You either need to purchase BES server software or use a 3rd party utility at the Exchange level. Exchange only forwards emails arbitarily with no respect as to the content.

Comment

Thanks Scurla!

That's what I was finding too, but I wanted to come here for the final word.

Comment

You can install the BES server software for free as its distributed with one free license.

http://www.blackberry.com/select/pro.../express.shtml

That will only allow you to connect one handheld. I think additional licenses are around 50 a device or thereabouts.

Comment

I'll ask my vendor about that, they were apparently trying to sell us something a bit more expensive.

Thanks for the heads up!

Comment

Originally posted by bill_sffcu View Post
            I'll ask my vendor about that, they were apparently trying to sell us something a bit more expensive.

Thanks for the heads up!
            Dont bother. There wont be any margin in it for them. You can download it from the link i gave you providing you have the pin for one device. The software is free. All you'll need is one further license for full Exchange connectivity.

Comment

You will also need to move your Blackberries to a "BES" or "Enterprise" tariff -- likely to be somewhat more expensive than the standard "BIS" tariff
              Do this directly with your mobile provider
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                You will also need to move your Blackberries to a "BES" or "Enterprise" tariff -- likely to be somewhat more expensive than the standard "BIS" tariff
                Do this directly with your mobile provider
                Spot on. And BES contracts are more expensive than BIS but contain a data tariff that is generally fixed.

Comment

Working...
                X