Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• set exchange to not forward email from a specifc server

we have exchange 2003 sp2 enterprise edt w wind server 2003 sp2

i am trying to configure exchange to not forward mail from our sharpoint server as it still is in testing mode. it currently is using a local smtp service but it is getting full. and bogging down the serer. we want to maybe setup a bogas email server and have the messages delete after they are sent.

if you have a better suggestion i am open to answers..
    thanks all

Re: set exchange to not forward email from a specifc server

If I understand what you're saying: You're testing your Sharepoint server, including it's ability to send email. The email is bogging down the temporary SMTP server you have set up on the Sharepoint server. You want to configure it to send the email to your Exchange server or another server to take the load off of the Sharepoint server but you don't want these emails to actually be delivered to any recipients. Do I have it right?

If so, then I would set up a temporary SMTP server on another server (could even be a workstation) and configure Sharepoint to use this server for email. On this temporary SMTP server configure it to use a smart host for email delivery and enter a bogus ip address for the smart host. All email from Sharepoint will end up in the queue folders of the temporary SMTP server, which will not be able to send them to recipients because of the bogus smart host. You can then periodically delete the queued emails.

I'm sure there are more elegant ways of doing this but it's all I could think of at the moment.

Comment

Re: set exchange to not forward email from a specifc server

thanks that will work for me

Comment

Working...
      X