Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange Database fast growth inexplicably

Hi,

This is right now this is my "full time hobbie". Jesus, from yesterday about 6:00PM database is growing at a inexplicably fast rate. At first I didn't pay attention to database, because from time to time backups fail, and I was thinking this one was one of these times, and I spent the night trying to get backups fixed to get rid of logs, until I noticed how little space was left on the database disk.

Never in my life I seen that before. this is the graph of the thing:

There are intervals about 3 to 10 minutes between "growth stampede"; in those moments the DB and logs will start consuming space, even when nobody is using mail!!! public folders and other DB are fine, just this one. I also noticed, the combined size of all mailboxes are under 5 gigs but right now the size of the DB is more than 60GB!! WTF??

Thanks for looking, any hint or help REALLY APPRECIATED!

Re: Exchange Database fast growth inexplicably

-Probabbly 1 out of those hundred/thousand e-mail boxes flooding or spamming rapidly.
    -You need to install monitor software on your exchange server
    -And also make sure mailboxes of COO's and CEO's have limitations.
    -And finally add mail server patches from MS, also do windows updates.
    - And lastly give a look at mailboxes and check which mailbox is eating is max space.
    - Microsoft recomands mailbox on server for single user should not exceed 1.7 gb or so. It may crash and in that case MS dont support. [ Assuming you are using Exchange 2003.]
    - Dont no there agreement & regulations for Exchange 2007
    - Also for a quick tip change IMF [ Inteligent Massage filtering ] level to 4 or 5.

Cheer's.
    All in 1
    Solaris,Linux & Windows admin + networking.

Comment

Re: Exchange Database fast growth inexplicably

Originally posted by sco1984 View Post
      -Probabbly 1 out of those hundred/thousand e-mail boxes flooding or spamming rapidly.
      -You need to install monitor software on your exchange server
      -And also make sure mailboxes of COO's and CEO's have limitations.
      -And finally add mail server patches from MS, also do windows updates.
      - And lastly give a look at mailboxes and check which mailbox is eating is max space.
      - Microsoft recomands mailbox on server for single user should not exceed 1.7 gb or so. It may crash and in that case MS dont support. [ Assuming you are using Exchange 2003.]
      - Dont no there agreement & regulations for Exchange 2007
      - Also for a quick tip change IMF [ Inteligent Massage filtering ] level to 4 or 5.

Cheer's.
      Thanks for your suggestions, perhaps most of them are already implemented:
      -there is monitoring on the server (nagios)
      -all of the Executive officers are on a diferent IS; they have a 150MB limit (mailboxes limits on the affected IS is 25MB; max size on one of these is 160MB; special requeriment for special user).
      -Patches are not installed inmediately after they see the light, because this is a critical system, and is a clustered resource; we wait a few days before patch.

The weird thing about all this, I did an export of the mailboxes (not to be confused with DB export); and the sum of all of the mailboxes doesn't do more than 4GB! right now we have the issue under control after a M$ support call (US$250 per incident!) they recommended to migrate mailboxes to a newly created store, and all is cool for now.

The new IS is less than 4GB, the old IS is 86GB now. We have a mail filtering/antivirus appliance on front of the mail system (Fax server, mail cluster, and exchange connector) the security guys wich manage the appliance said everything is normal, no attacts and no nothing. I strongly believe the problem is the fragmentation of the database, wich is making something in there go nuts. Thanks for the response!. I will probably investigate about IMF, I honestly know little about that. Exchange is 2003 wich was migrated from 5.5. The weird thing about all this, is that even at 3:00AM, when nobody is sending mails, even with the SMTP resource disabled, database would get bigger and bigger

Comment

Working...
      X