Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving public folders

Exchange 2003 full updated.

In our exchange environment we have four administrative groups. In Admin group A, there are four exchange servers. One of these exchange servers is going away, but I need to make sure the public folders on that server are moved to another server within that same admin group.

I have a few questions, one being how do I even tell what public folders are on any given exchange server?

I see the public folder store (myexhangeserver) but that looks like it has all the public folders

I also see the Public folder group that looks more like what an outlook client would see.

typically if a public folder is created, it is created by an admin that works with that particular exchange server, so the public folder is created there. But since everyone uses the public folders from theirlocations (the other exchange servers in the environment), some seem to be replicated to other exchange servers.

Since I am not real familiar with how the public folders are setup/work. I am just trying to figure out the best way to remove one of the exchange servers from the mix without all of a sudden realizing people can't get to their public folders.

Thanks,
    KLS

Re: Moving public folders

I'll try to give you a short answer:

The Default (MAPI) PF Tree is linked to all servers in the Org.

Any top-level folder that you create in the PF Tree from Outlook, is created on the same server as the one holding your mailbox. You can see this by looking at the server's Information Store > First Storage Group > PF Store > Folders tab in ESM.

The PF hierarchy is automatically replicated to all linked servers, i.e. to all the servers in the Org.

That is, the PF you've created is located on server X, but all users, even those with mbxs on server Y and Z will "see" that the folder exists (unless they don't have permissions to see it).

When a user on server Y or Z clicks on the PF, the data will be sent to them from server X, the one with the actual data.

This can be controlled if you've got Routing Groups, but I won't go into that.

Now, in case server X is down (or removed from the Org), the content of that specific PF will be gone, as no other server has a replica of it.

Therefore, you can control PF replication and configure it to replicate data to another or other server(s).

HTH
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Daniel, thanks for the info. (this site is extremely useful)

Here is what I have done and just want to see if I am understanding it correctly.

Admingroup1>servers
      ex1
      ex2
      ex3
      If I go into each EX server and look at that servers PF Store>Folders tab in ESM. Are the folders I see, physically on that EX server?

If that PF is also replicated to another server say EX2, then when I go into that servers PF Store>Folders tab I should also see that same folder listed and it is also physically on that EX server as well?

I have a PF called DSS1 that was created on EX1, I have added in the replication partners, EX2 and EX3 for the DSS1 PF. I now see it listed when I go to EX2 and EX3's PF Store>Folders tab in ESM. Does this mean I could remove EX1 from the Admingroup1>servers and users would still be able to access DSS1.

Thanks,
      KLS

Comment

Originally posted by kevins74 View Post
        If I go into each EX server and look at that servers PF Store>Folders tab in ESM. Are the folders I see, physically on that EX server?

If that PF is also replicated to another server say EX2, then when I go into that servers PF Store>Folders tab I should also see that same folder listed and it is also physically on that EX server as well?

I have a PF called DSS1 that was created on EX1, I have added in the replication partners, EX2 and EX3 for the DSS1 PF. I now see it listed when I go to EX2 and EX3's PF Store>Folders tab in ESM. Does this mean I could remove EX1 from the Admingroup1>servers and users would still be able to access DSS1.
        Yes, if the PF is configured to be replicated, you should be able to see it on all servers.

If it's replicated, yes, you could remove the first server, and yes, users should be able to still access it.

Just make sure it's replicated and that you have the same item count.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
        X