No announcement yet.

Exchange 2003 First Storage Group problem

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2003 First Storage Group problem

Hello all-

I am hoping that someone can help me out here. I just installed a new Exchange 2003 server here in my organization to replace an old server and have run in to a problem. I was performing my initial backup of this server after having exchange installed and two mailboxes moved, when the server locked up. It sat frozen for a few hours and even stopped responding to ping and DNS requests, so I performed a hard reboot.
    I know that this isn't what should have been done, but woulda, shoulda, coulda, you know?
    Anyway, now the First Storage Group is showing the Mailbox Store and the Public Folder Store, but it will not mount them. My test mailboxes are in a different storage group, which IS mounted, but I cannot move the mailboxes back to the old server using Exchange Tasks... I could use Exmerge i suppose, but I digress.
    My question is, since there is no data in the first storage group that I absolutely MUST have, is there any way to forcefully remove those two stores and recreate new ones that WILL mount? I have been fighting this thing since Friday and I my brain is tired of trying to reason out the problem.

I will happily provide any other info, if anyone would think it is needed.

Thank you!

Re: Exchange 2003 First Storage Group problem

Quick update, though not sure if it means much...

After a reboot of the new Exchange server, I can move the test mailboxes back to the old server, thus saving that data. I still am unable to mount the information stores for the first storage group. It is giving me:

An internal processing error has occurred. Try restarting the Exchange System Manager or the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service, or both.

ID no: C1041724
    Exchange System Manager

to which I have done both, with no luck.

Any and all ideas welcomed!

Thank you,

Re: Exchange 2003 First Storage Group problem

LOL... ok, update number 2....

I have been able to mount the stores! I don't know why I didn't try this earlier, but oh well, after running eseutil /p, then /mh, then /d a couple times as suggested by MS on each .edb file (priv1 and pub1), all is well.

Now, I will be removing these and recreating new stores.