Cannot receive with Exchange 2003/DynDNS/Correct MX Settings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot receive with Exchange 2003/DynDNS/Correct MX Settings

Ok, from everything I've read over the last week now the biggest problem with setting up Exchange with DynDNS is configuring the MX records... well I've tested and verified that my MX settings are correct, via mxtoolbox.com diagnostics test, it connects and shows the HELO, MAIL FROM, etc.

I can send email just fine with my mailhop outbound, but no matter what I do I cannot receive. I've changed my SMTP port to 10025 in case its an issue with Embarq blocking 25 traffic (which I dont think is the case because even with 25 enabled and configured I could still connect with mxtoolbox test). Routers not an issue, 10025 is open/forwarding as well as 25 just in case. So... whats up? What am I missing? If MX was configured incorrectly then MXtoolbox wouldn't work at all would it?

Re: Cannot receive with Exchange 2003/DynDNS/Correct MX Settings

A couple of things:

1. The mxtoolbox test verifies that your DNS, MX, IP, routing, and firewall are all working correctly. If they weren't the mxtoolbox tests would fail (as you stated).

2. Because the mxtoolbox tests pass, I would recommend you set SMTP back to port 25. There's no need to complicate the issue by changing port numbers, etc.

3. What domain are you sending to (email address)? Is Exchange configured to be authorative for that domain? Have you modified your Recipient Policy for the domain in question?

4. Do you get an NDR when sending email inbound? If so, post the NDR here for analysis.

Comment

I love the fast reply! thanks!

First let me add this, newb to exchange all together so go easy on me here.

I reconfigured back to port 25

After posting this I got to wondering about the recipient issue from reading another post but I'm not sure where I need to go to configure this.

My domain is robbjjones.net email address should look like [email protected]

I'm getting no errors back when attempting to send an email to my server, its like they fall off into a black hole.

Comment

Do this:

Go into Exchange System Manager. Expand the Recipients folder. Select the Recipient Policies folder. Right click the Default Policy object in the right pane. Select the Email Addresses (Policy) tab. If you don't see robjjones.net in the list then click the New button, select SMTP Address and click OK. In the Address field type @robjjones.net and make sure the check box below the Address field is checked, then click OK. Back in the Email Addresses (Policy) tab check the robjjones.net box and then click the Set as Primary button. Click OK to close all the Windows and exit ESM.

This will make your Exchange server authorative for the robjjones.net domain and it will now accept email for recipients who have that email address. Note that your users will need to have mailboxes. When you create a user/mailbox or create a mailbox for an existing user they will automatically get a robjjones.net email address based on the recipient policy ([email protected]).

Comment

Okay, I've found my recipient policy settings and they appear to be configured correctly

SMTP @robbjjones.net
          X400 c=US;a= ;p=RobbJJones;o=Exchange

under the SMTP settings the checkbox for "This Exchange Organization is responsible for all mail delivery to this address" check box is checked but greyed out, from my understanding isn't this where the authoritative setting is determined?

Comment

Is the @robjjones.net email address box checked on the main Email Addresses (Policy) tab?

The authorative settings do come from here. I've never seen the checkbox greyed out. Is this server running SBS?

Comment

the smtp setting is checked, as is the x400.

some googling came up with this

"Exchange 2003 on a Stand-a-lone server that is its own DNS server, automatically sets the Recipient Default Policy to enforce "This Exchange Organization is responsible for all mail Delivery to this address" by graying out this message and the checked check box. Need to create another Recipient Policy (automatically becomes the first priorty Recipient Policy) that will give you the option of this checking this check box or not."

So i created another policy, set it the same as the other, tried to re-send... still nothing... nothing sucks worse than being almost certain you're setup right but it still doesnt work... lol

Comment

Well the next step would be sending an email from another account (google, hotmail, etc.) and requesting a delivery receipt. The delivery receipt or NDR (whichever you get) will give us more info on what's going on.

Also go here and run the Internet Email Tests:

https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/

Comment

OKAY, so I just tried testing from my work email and got this with the receipt
                  Final-Recipient: rfc822;[email protected]
                  Action: relayed
                  X-Display-Name: 'Robb Jones'
                  Internet Email Test returns the following (all successful)
                  Attempting to retrieve DNS MX records for domain robbjjones.net
                  Successfully retrieved one or more MX records from DNS
                  Additional Details
                  MX Records Host mx1.mailhop.org, Preference 10, Host mx2.mailhop.org, Preference 20
                  Testing Mail Exchanger mx1.mailhop.org.
                  This Mail Exchanger was tested successfully.
                  Test Steps
                  Attempting to Resolve the host name mx1.mailhop.org in DNS.
                  Host successfully Resolved
                  Additional Details
                  IP(s) returned: 216.146.32.1, 216.146.32.3
                  Testing TCP Port 25 on host mx1.mailhop.org to ensure it is listening/open.
                  The port was opened successfully.
                  Additional Details
                  Banner Received: 220 mhfr-03-iad.dyndns.com ESMTP Exim 4.68 Sun, 14 Jun 2009 23:42:31 +0000
                  Attempting to send test email message to [email protected] using MX mx1.mailhop.org.
                  The test message was delivered successfully.
                  Testing the MX mx1.mailhop.org for open relay by trying to relay to user [email protected]
                  Open Relay test passed. This mx is not an open relay
                  Additional Details
                  The open relay test message delivery failed (a good thing).
                  The exception detail is:
                  Exception Details:
                  Message: Mailbox unavailable. The server response was: Relaying denied
                  Type: System.Net.Mail.SmtpFailedRecipientException
                  Stack Trace:
                  at System.Net.Mail.SmtpTransport.SendMail(MailAddress sender, MailAddressCollection recipients, String deliveryNotify, SmtpFailedRecipientException& exception)
                  at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message)
                  at Microsoft.Exchange.Tools.ExRca.Tests.SmtpOpenRelay Test.PerformTestReally()

Testing Mail Exchanger mx2.mailhop.org.
                  This Mail Exchanger was tested successfully.
                  Test Steps
                  Attempting to Resolve the host name mx2.mailhop.org in DNS.
                  Host successfully Resolved
                  Additional Details
                  IP(s) returned: 204.13.249.72, 208.78.69.71
                  Testing TCP Port 25 on host mx2.mailhop.org to ensure it is listening/open.
                  The port was opened successfully.
                  Additional Details
                  Banner Received: 220 mhb-02-pao.mailhop.org ESMTP Exim 4.67 Sun, 14 Jun 2009 23:42:48 +0000
                  Attempting to send test email message to [email protected] using MX mx2.mailhop.org.
                  The test message was delivered successfully.
                  Testing the MX mx2.mailhop.org for open relay by trying to relay to user [email protected]
                  Open Relay test passed. This mx is not an open relay
                  Additional Details
                  The open relay test message delivery failed (a good thing).
                  The exception detail is:
                  Exception Details:
                  Message: Mailbox unavailable. The server response was: Relaying denied
                  Type: System.Net.Mail.SmtpFailedRecipientException
                  Stack Trace:
                  at System.Net.Mail.SmtpTransport.SendMail(MailAddress sender, MailAddressCollection recipients, String deliveryNotify, SmtpFailedRecipientException& exception)
                  at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message)
                  at Microsoft.Exchange.Tools.ExRca.Tests.SmtpOpenRelay Test.PerformTestReally()

Comment

OK, by the looks of it the email has been delivered to your Exchange server. The next thing is to log on to your mailbox and check for the message.

If you don't see the message in your mailbox, go back into ESM and use the Message Tracking tool to search for the message and see what happened to it.

Comment

Hold on, I just noticed in the remote connectivity test that the email was delivered to mx1.mailhop.org. Is that your Exchange server?

Comment

Fixed! the mx is actually for DynDNS, using mailhop through them... Apparently we fixed it with one of our previous troubleshooting steps but I neglected to set one thing. From the first post mentioning that I set my port back to 25, I neglected to do so with DynDNS mailhop as well... As soon as I set that and sent another test message it worked... Wish I could find out which specific step I took that did it, the only thing I can really think it was was when I added that extra recipient policy to compensate for the greyed out checkbox.

Much appreciation man! you were really on the ball with helping me out!

Comment

Glad to help and glad you got it working.

Comment

Working...
                          X