smtp 554 Sender denied between two internal exchange servers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smtp 554 Sender denied between two internal exchange servers

I have 2 Exchange 2003 servers. All incoming mail comes through EX1, where some mailboxes live, and then pass to EX2 for other mailboxes.

I have one external person who can send email fine to anyone on EX1, but can not email anyone on EX2. It is only this one person. Other people from the same office with the same domain name can do it fine.

This person does not get a NDR. A copy of the NDR is sent to the postmaster:

The e-mail address could not be found. Perhaps the recipient moved to a different e-mail organization, or there was a mistake in the address. Check the address and try again.
    <EX1.xxxx.com #5.1.0 smtp;554 5.1.0 Sender Denied>

When I do a search for incoming messages on EX1 it shows the mail came in, then it was routed queued for remote delivery then started outbound transfer of message and then an NDR is generated.

I have actually moved the mailbox of one person from EX2 to EX1 and that enabled the external user to email that mailbox.

I don't have any 3rd party spam filtering on EX2. I used to have Mailessentials on EX1 but have removed it.

Any clue what could be causing this? This is probably the strangest problem I have had since it is only one external user.
    Last edited by tnshurtm; 12th June 2009, 16:31.
    Thank you,

Marc

Re: smtp 554 Sender denied between two internal exchange servers

Check for delivery restrictions on the virtual server / connectors

May be something here to help:
    http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/...5-01/0285.html
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

I don't have any restrictions on any connectors or the virtual servers. Where in the world could I (or Exchange) control what us passed between the servers on a per sender basis?
      Thank you,

Marc

Comment

UPDATE

I just ran into this problem again with a different sender being denied. After going through all of the settings again, we found that if we unchecked "Filter messages with blank senders" in message delivery properties, that the emails would get passed onto the other Exchange servers. We use a 3rd party for spam/virus filtering so we plan to leave it unchecked.
        Thank you,

Marc

Comment

Working...
        X