No announcement yet.

Exchange 2003 routing problem

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2003 routing problem

I have an active directory controller (ADC), an old exchange server 2000 SP3 (e2k) and a newly installed exchange server 2003 SP1 (e2k3), all servers run Windows 2000 Server SP4. Both exchange servers are in the same routing group. The routing group has a SMTP connector with smart host to our provider, the e2k server is the local bridgehead of the connector, costs for the connector are 50.

When I move a mailbox to the new e2k3 server and try to send a mail to an external domain, I get a bounce (550 relaying denied...). The SMTP logging shows that the e2k3 server trys to deliver the mail via the ADC instead of the e2k server!

I just don't get why e2k3 server ist trying to deliver the mail via ADC and not via e2k server? Is that the expected behavior in this setup, or is my understanding of routig groups and bridgeheads totaly wrong?

Did you try to search on google for your problem?
    MCSE w2k

Originally posted by windux
      Did you try to search on google for your problem?
      As I already metioned in the subject, I suspect it's a routing problem in the exchange server. Since both exchange servers are in the same administrative and routing group, and the e2k server is the local bridgehead for the SMTP connector, I would expect the e2k3 server to deliver the mail to the e2k server, whitch in turn woud use the configured smart host of our privider.

I see absolutly no reason, why the e2k3 server is building a SMTP connection to the ADC for delivering mail to [email protected]. I fully understand that the ADC is giving a 550 back - it's not his job to deliver mails.

So back to my question, do I totally misunderstand the routing group and connector concept in exchange 2000/2003 environments, or is there somthing really really going wrong in my setup?

PS. The SMTP Connector is valid for the entire organization.

I just found the solution myself - after playing another hour with winroute:
        The FQDN of the virtual server in the SMTP connector was "domain.local" which logically resolves to the IP address ADC. Just changed the name of the virtual smtp server to the FQDN of the e2k server (e2k.domain.local), but winroute still shows the old name...

How long does it take for the changes to propagate? Is the a way I can manualy initiate the synchronisation of the exchange routing table?