Exchange 2003 C drive running out of space

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2003 C drive running out of space

I have a exchange 2003 box that has a c and d , c is for program files, and d is for transaction logs that get cleared nightly by symantec exchange backup agent, typically you see people that have an issue with the transaction logs filling up the drives too fast but for me its the opposite, so my question is , what should i be looking for on the c that could still be eating all my space?

Re: Exchange 2003 C drive running out of space

It could be anything: smtp logs, web logs, etc. Where are the Exchange databases? Where's the Exchange working directory?

Do a search of the C: drive for any file 10MB or greater and see what comes up in the results.

Comment

there's also a common issue with the WBEM folder under C:\windows\system32\wbem or somewhere like that.
      basically, it's not supposed to grow to more than 64MB in size or something like that, but a permissions issue prevents it from cycling the logs, so it just keeps growing in size.

There's definitely an MS kba on it, i just can't recall the ref# at the moment. I fixed it countless times at my previous job though

i'd also review C:\windows\system32\logfiles
      and set up a script to rotate logs older than X number of days. This is a common place for your IIS logs. I also ensure that all my eventlogs are configured via GPO to not be any larger than 100MB and to overwrite as necessary. (with a few minor exceptions..)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836605 <-- this is it
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Windows updates in the Windows directory can be removed if you no longer need to uninstall them (usually hidden and start $NTUninstall), temp directory, old user profiles, files saved on your desktop, WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download directory can be emptied, move your page file to another drive.
        SMTP/HTTP logs are common plus you may have the queue and pickup directories there.
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

and disk cleanup utility, and defrag.
          and check for SQL Databases ! You may be able to claim some space by moving the databases to a data drive... (don't laugh, previous guy at my company thinks a single C: drive was good enough for everytihng, all of the time.)

Also, check for user profiles, see if they are getting huge ? (rc my computer, properties, advanced > userprofile settings)
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Is your Exchange data store on C drive? If so, if you have space on D, consider moving it, unless C and D are separate Physical Disks.
            Last edited by biggles77; 12th June 2009, 11:24. Reason: Fix typo.

Comment

ok I did a search for files over 10MB and the biggest thing I found in the "C:\Program Files\Exchsvr\MDBData" files priv1.mdb 23Gb, and priv1.stm 10Gb, im down to like 1.93 free as we speak, my transaction logs are on a seperate D: drive.

Comment

iis log files may not be over 10MB in size.
                did you check the WBEM fix I posted earlier ?

Comment

The next thing to do would be to look for any directories that are large and investigate what's in them.

As has been noted by several of us, have you checked the log files (SMTP, IIS, etc.) that may be consuming the drive space.

Comment

ok yes I have checked the log files (SMTP, IIS, etc.) and those didnt seem to be a issue the majority of the logs where around 10 to 15 mb's, What I ended up doing was moving my Exchange Databases the priv1.mdb 23Gb, and priv1.stm, to my D: drive which has plenty of room for them. SO now I have a D: drive that has two seperate folders one for my transaction logs and one for the databases.

Comment

what about user profiles.
                      what about C:\temp
                      C:\windows\temp
                      *.dmp
                      *.mdmp

Comment

ok I will check the temp directories, and i find anything i can just delete them? Im assuming it will have no impact on the exchange databases..

Comment

you won't be able to delete temporary files that are currently in use.. deleting other temp files shouldn't cause a problem because they are exactly that - tmep files.

Maybe create a script that will delete the temp files on reboot ?

Also - you say the majority of the logs are 10-15MB.. is that each ? because my SMTPSVC1 log directory is 180MB.. and we've only had the smtp service running for about 3 months.
                          I've got another 320 MB in W3SVC logs. Sure, it's not alot.. but it'll help..

Comment

Working...
                          X