Single store recovery in Exchange 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single store recovery in Exchange 2003

If any of my store DB files goes bad, what is the procedure to restore that back incase if repair also fails?

Thanks,

Re: Single store recovery in Exchange 2003

What backup solution are you using?
    Have you looked into Recovery Storage groups?

Basically, if your Active directory is intact, and if you have a recent backup of the information store, you have a good chance of restoring fairly easily
    If not, you are into products such as PowerControls
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I am looking for up-to-date restoration of databases. Is it possible in Exchange 2003?

Comment

It depends on how up to date your backups are, but if you have the information store AND the transaction logs, it should be possible.

Normally you take steps to AVOID a disaster -- redundant disks, regular, tested backups and monitoring of both Exchange and the server OS. if your only preparation is "if there is a failure then I will to this...", you will have problems
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

If by "up-to-date restoration" you mean a "no-loss restore" or "real time replication/protection" of the Exchange information stores, then it's not possible in Exchange 200/2003. You need to use a third party product like DoubleTake or BackupExec CPS.

Comment

Originally posted by charlsteve View Post
            If any of my store DB files goes bad, what is the procedure to restore that back incase if repair also fails?

Thanks,
            You restore the DB from your last good backup. Presumably you have one? Exchange 2007 does support asynchronous copies of the Exchange databases. But as a rule as suggested already you will need a 3rd party tool for this or just use NT backup.

Comment

Working...
            X