Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to POP3 download from Outlook express using SSL

Dear All,

Setup: Exchange 2003, Windows 2003, ISA 2006.

I have enable pop3S (third party SSL certificate) for my remote users, every thing is working fine with MS Outlook, but with Outlook Express we are able to download mail but not able to send any mails, we are getting the error message

"Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'server FQDN', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 465, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F"

I have tried disable antivirus on the client system but no success.

Kindly suggest.

Re: Unable to POP3 download from Outlook express using SSL

Simple answer, stop using POP.

It's an outdated and not very useful protocol, if you can't provide full blown Outlook and RPC over HTTP(s) access to your remote users then IMAP is a much better choice than POP, as the messages are not removed from the server and you also have some limited calandar and contacts functionality.

Anyhoo, you said you are using POP3S which is a receive only protocol. The error message refers to SMTPS (SMTP over SSL). Is your Exchange server configured to allow this?
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Thanks for reply!

Pop3 is not a best solution but with lots of mails and only two three hours internet connectivity this is the only solution.

I have created and configured SMTP virtual server and its running fine with MS outlook, users can send and receive mails but not able to send mails with Outlook express.

Thanks

Comment

Well, IMO IMAP is still a better choice if you must use such a protocol as it doesn't pull the messages off the server.

It might be worth trying port 587 in Outlook Express rather than 465, that's the TLS port but I have heard of people who couldn't get SMTPS to work on 465 but it would on 587.
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Thanks Dear cruachan

Outlook Express working on the port 587.

Comment

Why not just use OWA? IMAP is more suitable as an online alternative but it still doesnt give you full exchange functionality? Seems like a rather convuluted setup when RPC over HTTP will do fine or FBA with OWA/SSL. Not much point in using an MTA like Exchange if all you need is POP/IMAP functionality. Dovecot + postifx/sendmail could have done that and thats FOSS!
            Last edited by scurlaruntings; 27th May 2009, 12:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Pushkar View Post
              Thanks Dear cruachan

Outlook Express working on the port 587.
              No problem, thanks for letting us know.
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
              X