Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Restarting the Information Store service on a cluster

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Restarting the Information Store service on a cluster

    What is the best way to restart the Information Store Service on a Exchange 2003 active/passive cluster? I do not want the cluster to failover. Also, will the users notice restarting of the Information Store Service?

    Thanks!

  • #2
    Fail Over

    You can configure the cluster to dont use fail over and then restart IS service.
    Users with Office XP or/and old outlook might need to restart outlook.
    Best Regards,

    Yuval Sinay

    LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

    Comment


    • #3
      go into cluster admin, right click the resource for your IS then click Take Offline.

      Job Done,

      Click Bring Online when you want to start the service again.

      topper
      * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by topper
        go into cluster admin, right click the resource for your IS then click Take Offline.

        Job Done,

        Click Bring Online when you want to start the service again.

        topper

        First let me say one thing. If you make off-line the resource the users will no have that resource available.
        DO NOT DO THIS AT ALL

        You only can move the group to another node on the cluster without affect anything.

        My question is:

        Why do you need to stop the IS! If you stop the service on the server then you will not have any kind of trouble because you have another server with that service available, right!?
        NEVER STOP the resource...

        MCSE w2k
        MCSA w2k - MCSA w2k MESSAGING
        MCDBA SQL2k

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by windux
          First let me say one thing. If you make off-line the resource the users will no have that resource available.
          DO NOT DO THIS AT ALL
          If you stop and start the service then the users will not have access to it anyway !!!!

          Taking the resource offline and then bringing back online, restarts the service, without failing over the resource and any dependancies (i.e All resources\groups on his setup). It also means you don't have to mess about with the fail over setting before restarting the service the normal way.

          Originally posted by windux
          You only can move the group to another node on the cluster without affect anything.
          And you do realise failover is not instant, right ?? It takes longer to failover an entire cluster that just restart the service.

          topper
          * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

          Comment


          • #6
            If you restart the service ON THE SERVER NODE that service will not be available on THAT SERVER, butt will be available ON THE CLUSTER!
            Taking the resource offline WILL NOT restart the service butt will just take the service offline. it is like a share if you stop sharing no more will be available, butt still there!
            MOVE GROUP was one example, you do not need to move the group. You need to move the group to another server if the actual server will be shutdown, unavailable and so on.
            MCSE w2k
            MCSA w2k - MCSA w2k MESSAGING
            MCDBA SQL2k

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by windux
              If you restart the service ON THE SERVER NODE that service will not be available on THAT SERVER, butt will be available ON THE CLUSTER!
              Taking the resource offline WILL NOT restart the service butt will just take the service offline. it is like a share if you stop sharing no more will be available, butt still there!
              Are you trying to wind me up ??

              Go on to your cluster and take a resource offline, it stops the service and does not initiate failover to the other node "SO IT'S NOT AVAILABLE TO THE CLUSTER"

              Stop shouting !!!!

              topper.

              P.S. If you stop sharing how is the share still there ??
              * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by topper
                Are you trying to wind me up ??
                No i am not.

                Originally posted by topper
                Go on to your cluster and take a resource offline, it stops the service and does not initiate failover to the other node "SO IT'S NOT AVAILABLE TO THE CLUSTER"
                What service? The resource will stop and not be available on the cluster. Butt the service will be available on the node.

                Originally posted by topper
                P.S. If you stop sharing how is the share still there ??
                - The folder still there. Not the share.
                - In this case the resource will not be available, butt the service still active on the nodes.


                I will not reply again.
                Sorry about that.
                MCSE w2k
                MCSA w2k - MCSA w2k MESSAGING
                MCDBA SQL2k

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by windux

                  Originally posted by topper
                  Go on to your cluster and take a resource offline, it stops the service and does not initiate failover to the other node "SO IT'S NOT AVAILABLE TO THE CLUSTER"
                  What service? The resource will stop and not be available on the cluster. Butt the service will be available on the node.
                  FYI the IS service is stopped by taking the resource offline.

                  PGM_dog try all these suggestions and pick the best one for you. Let us know how you get on.

                  topper
                  * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Taking IS Service offline worked perfectly

                    I met my objectives.

                    1. Cluster stayed up.
                    2. Users small impact.
                    3. Restarted IS service to implement change.


                    Thanks for the good advice!

                    PGM_DOG

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Please share your solution with the rest of us incase someone else wants to do the same.

                      How did you go about doing the IS restart.

                      Thanks
                      topper.
                      * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        taking IS Service offline on cluster

                        I went to the cluster administrator and selelected the Exchange Information Store Instance and right clicked it to take it offline.

                        Once the status was offline I right clicked again to bring back on line.

                        This took about a minute or so to go from offline and back on line.

                        PGM_DOG

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X