No announcement yet.

Trouble Connecting to Exchange Server

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble Connecting to Exchange Server

I have an Exchange 2003 server, that until a few days ago was only setup for local network access (somedomain.local).

I have setup OWA, the SSL for HTTPS access, and that works externally.

At this point Outlook clients are only able to connect to the Exchange server when on the same network (we haven't change the server names for them). When trying to access the Exchange server from an external network, I continually receive the following error.

The Connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online to complete this action.
    RPC over HTTPS is installed, however with this being the first time I have done this, I am not entirely certain it is configured properly.

Hoping for some guidance.

Re: Trouble Connecting to Exchange Server

somedomain.local can be used internally. This dns name cannot be resolved from external. I am surprice how it was able to resolve in first place. This is DNS issue. What domian name you have registered on Internet?

I have setup a DNS record of to point to their WAN IP. This resolves fine when I ping it.

To view the OWA, they browse to, and it works perfectly.

In outlook, I specify as the server.

the Oa configuraton needs to be as follows:

use this url to connect to proxy:
        this shoul dbe the public name - ie
        connect using ssl only.

the exchange server name should be the internal, ie exchange.internal.local

ALSO - ensure you have a proper verisign certificiate, or the clients trust the self-signed certificate.

bad certificates is ag reat way to break OA
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

From the server side plz check following:-

a) The valid ports are contained in the following registry key on the RPC proxy server: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Rpc\RpcProxy

(This entry has to be in palce on the FE server or on the single server scenario). In the FE server scenario ServerNETBIOSName & ServerFQDN is the mailbox server name.

b) If the Exchange 2003 is Global catalog also then make sure you have below reg value:-

1) Goto path:-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NTDS\Parameters

2) create a Multi-String Value. Reg name-NSPI interface protocol sequences and value should be - ncacn_http:6004

c)after above settings are in place but still facing the issue then run
          netstat-ano on the server and update here.

d) Also make sure if u r using a internal certificate on the exchange server then u need to install the root certificate and intermediate certificate on the client machine.

Ford s-max specifications
          Last edited by Dks; 13th March 2011, 00:11.

MCP E2K3 & MCITP E2K7
          MCITP Enterprise Win2k8