Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange Store Move to SAN now *certain* msgs error/won't open

Exchange Gurus:

Last night we moved our Exchange 2003 store and logs to our EMC SAN device for more storage. Everything seemed to go just fine, until this morning. It seems as if certain users across all versions of Outlook (2000, 2003, 2007) are unable to send messages internally....while others have messages from certain individuals that they cannot open- Error shows: Can't open this item. Path does not exist. Make sure the path is correct.

Those same emails show as a 404 through OWA.

When I did the move, I did change the registry key for the "Working Folder" to point to the new location- as well as verified the permissions.

Somehow it sounds like some people are still pointing to the old store location...

Config:
    IBM x336
    Server 2003 std SP1
    Exch Server 2003 std SP2

Another note: And older version of Antigen is installed but it is waaay out of license...wondering if this might somehow be related.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Exchange Store Move to SAN now *certain* msgs error/won't open

Also of note: I only moved the txn logs, exchange database, and exchange streaming database. Did NOT move the public folder store. Wondering if this matters when I changed the reg key for the working directory....

Comment

What method did you use to move them?

"Certain" emails not opening could imply corruption in the database.
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

if all you did was move the logs and databases to a SAN then changing the working directory is not needed.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post

"Certain" emails not opening could imply corruption in the database.

This could also imply that message conversion is failing.

Comment

Thanks for all the replys, folks.

We moved the items using the Exchange System Manager GUI. I did the registry key for the working directory just in case someone ever decided to remove the old directory (and just to make me feel better).

We opened a case with MS...ended up running Isinteg -fix -alltests twice...fixed ~9000 folders and 2 files but the problem still existed.

As I suspected, the problem stemmed from our 3-year old, WAY out of date Antigen...When the MS tech saw the dependency of the Antigen service to the Exchange Store- that got things going. You can't just stop the Antigen service outright- it is still "running". Exchange services must first be stopped, then antigen can be stopped using the antutil.exe utility.

Antigen was also giving AntigenSmtpSink error 4008 Category 4 errors...which also pointed us to it.

Either way, Antigen is completely disabled, and we have not seen any of the errors again.Also, Exchange backups now take 1/2 the time...seperate volumes for the database...What a concept!!

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by AgentZero View Post
              You can't just stop the Antigen service outright- it is still "running". Exchange services must first be stopped, then antigen can be stopped using the antutil.exe utility.
              if anyone cares the actual command would be

Antutil /disable

Comment

Working...
              X