Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exporting Exchange 2003 data to PST for import to Ex2007 in new domain

Morning all,

We're planning to scrap our existing SBS 2003 box and move to Server 08/Exchange 07 on a new AD domain. We'll be using ExMerge to dump the users' mailboxes to PST files to be imported into their new mailbox but we're having some trouble with the existing public folders.

Everything I've read online says to use Outlook to dump them into a PST, following the following steps (this is using Outlook 2007):

- File > Import and Export
    - Export to a file > Next
    - Personal Folder File (.pst) > Next
    - Select the public folder (in this instance, they're all calendars) > Next
    - For simplicity, we're saving the PST to the root of the C: with no spaces in the filename

Outlook throws up an error once we try to start the process saying "Could not complete the operation because the service provider does not support it."

It's not a permissions issue, as I'm an Owner of the public folders in question. Can anybody suggest something to try to get this to work?

Thanks
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Re: Exporting Exchange 2003 data to PST for import to Ex2007 in new domain

Oddly enough... this problem seems to be related to the load on the SBS server whenever the server is under load, the process fails. When the load is reduced, it seems to work... utterly bizarre.

Will post back in due course.
    Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Do you need to keep permissions on them as well?
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

No - as we're moving to a new domain, I would have thought the existing permissions would be invalid anyway. If we can keep them, great, if not we won't lose sleep over it. We will be replacing all but one of them with resource mailboxes within the next month anyway.
        Gareth Howells

Comment

Fair enough mate, wasn't sure if you were keeping the same directory or not.

For searches, PFDavAdmin can export/import permissions
          cheers
          Andy

Comment

Worth knowing, thanks for the tip
            Gareth Howells

Comment

This is a lot easier than you think.

Open Outlook, expand public folders, right click and drag the Top level folder to your pst. DONE!

Comment

(depending on the size of the public folders) versus PST limitations.
                cheers
                Andy

Comment

Working...
                X