Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange server as backup mail exchanger

Hello,

We have several clients running exchange on a direct ADSL connection with a static ip. The mx-records are set so that emails will be directly delivered to the exchange server.
    To give our clients some extra service we want to setup a backup mail server (second mx record). So, if their direct connection goes down for some reason, the backup mail server takes over and tries to deliver the mails until the connection is restored.

My question is : how can I setup an exchange server to do this job?

With kind regards,
    Tim Van Engeland

I don't know if I got your question right, but why not just add the second server as a second MX and have it set up with a higher number for the priority (such as 10 and 100 for example)?
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I think the problem is that the user mailboxes would then be on the failed server, and the outlook profiles would point to it as well. The second server should take over mail but where would it go?

I know the first can be overcome by good backups and restores, but I assume the real solution is some form of clustering. I know Windows 2000 advanced and 2K3 enterprise servers allow clustering but I dont know if exchange can "cluster" on non-clustered servers.

Tom
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Daniel,

What you wrote is what I wanted to do.
        I'll explain myself a little more :
        The backup mailserver works independent from the mailservers from our client (no clustering, or whatever).
        So, as soon the internet connection of our client drops, our server will take over (lower mx priority, 100 instead of 10).
        But how to configure exchange for this? The only this it has to do, is send and receive via SMTP and temporly store the message on the exchange server until the connection goes back up.

With kind regards,
        Tim Van Engeland

Comment

Yes, you can do that as long as the 2 servers are in the same organization. That way the second server will hold the mail in it's ueue untill it can reach server #1.

You can also do the same but without installing a full-featured exchange server, but with 3rd party mail relay software, or even with a W2K or WIN2003 server with IIS and SMTP installed on it.

The thing is that the users will not be able to reach their mailboxes while server #1 is down, but no incoming mail will be lost.
          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
          X