Restore an exchange 2003 server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restore an exchange 2003 server

I have an Exchange 2003 server, running on Windows Server 2003. The system has three partitions. The system partition is out of disk space. I have BackupExec 9.1 w/ exchange agent installed on another server. I want to do a complete backup of the server including exchange and then re-partition the drive to increase the space on the system partition and then restore the entire system. Can anybody direct me to a step-by-step of this process so i don't leave any thing out?

Re: Restore an exchange 2003 server

Make sure you backup your system state or best still, join another DC to the domain and then power it off during your changes.

Out of hours, dismount the Exchange IS and copy the folder that contains the Exchange databases and log files to another location.

There may be another way with Backup exsec but I used this method when we effectively restored a failed SBS server during a transition to w2k3 standard.

Comment

Do you know what caused your system partiton to fill up?

Are your message tracking logs or SMTP logs on the system partition? Maybe you can buy yourself some time or resolve the issue complete by moving these directories off the system partition. There are ways to do this with little or no down time.

Comment

It was not made large enough when the server was originally buil and all the MS patchs & sps add up over time.

All the logs etc are on a different partition. Overall there is plenty of disk space, just not on the boot part.

Mike

Comment

Working...
        X