Forwarding to BIS Blackberrys failing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forwarding to BIS Blackberrys failing

Recently I have been asked to look at a server with Exchange 2003, which is also their 2003 DC

Somehow they had managed to get themselves blacklisted for email, I have now cleared up exchange, stopped the email issue and had them removed from a few lists

email has returned to normal, however several users have Blackberrys (all different providers) and a copy of their emails are forwards to their handset email address.

Now this was working fine before the email issue, however now it's very hit and miss as to when they receive emails on their handsets.

They get a lot of genuine emails from gmail and hotmail users, they reach their exchange account ok, however they dont get to their blackberry

I am at a loss as to why this is happening, if I email them then they get the email every time ok...

Anyone with any other ideas?

I have recreated a new smtp connector just incase it was that, but it seems ok

Thanks

Re: Forwarding to BIS Blackberrys failing

this may help you

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/micro...%200%208420543

Comment

Thanks, however it seems it will not forward out to any account

I have created a test user and added one of my email addresses as a forward, i can send to the test account ok, however it's not forwarding out any of the messages

i have tried with both my work email account and my gmail account, the exchange account receives the email, however it does not forward it out to the contact.

I have compared settings in Exchange with a working server from a different site and they appear to be the same, however it's still not forwarding out.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Comment

I have found the solution, however I'm not over keen on it

I have had to change the SMTP connector to route email via DNS

Seems as Exchange forwards the incoming email with the originators email address, the ISP's SMTP servers are secure, so they wont send

Will leave it like this now

Thanks

Comment

Glad you found a solution but let me ask you something:

It sounds like you would prefer if your Exchange server forwarded all the email to a smart host at your ISP instead of delivering email directly using DNS. Why is that?

Personally I don't use smart hosts ( and I don't use DNS forwarders). I don't want my mail server (or my DNS server) to rely on anyone else's mail server (or DNS server), least of all my ISP, because then my infrastructure is dependent on their infrastructure. Let's say their mail server has a problem, now your email won't be delivered. Suppose their DNS server has a problem, now your DNS server will have a problem (for external DNS queries).

Comment

Hi Joe, if you dont use a smart host (ISP) or DNS, what do you use to route email out with?

Thanks

Comment

We do use DNS. When our Exchange server needs to send external email, it performs an MX DNS lookup against our internal DNS server for the remote domain ([email protected]), which then does the work of resolving the query and returns the results to the Exchange server. The Exchange server then takes the ip address returned from the MX query and makes an SMTP connection to that ip address and sends the email.

You had said in your post that you fixed the issue by configuring Exchange to route mail via DNS and that you didn't prefer that method. That's why I was asking.

I'm speculating that 75% of all email servers use DNS to route mail and not smart hosts.

Comment

Working...
              X