2K3 Offline Defrag

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K3 Offline Defrag

Our 2003 Exchange Std server needs to have the Offline Defrag run. But, we do not have enough free space (110% of DB) on the volume that the DB is sitting on.

I'm planning on throwing more disk space at the server this weekend but need to know if:

1. eseutil can be pointed to use another volume temporarily for the defrag

OR

2. move the DB to the newer, bigger volume and then run the defrag

I'm hoping to upgrade next year to 2K7 Enterprise when funds (hopefully) become available.

Re: 2K3 Offline Defrag

At the risk of being shot by Sembee for discussing offline defrags..

1: Yes quite easily, run eseutil and then press D to read the help. It should explain there.
    2: Databases can be moved easily too if required.

Having said that, how much free space will you reclaim? Is it worth it?

I believe:

Online defrag: Exchange performs automatically every night during its maintenance period. This defragments the internals of the file and drops the whitespace at the end. This improves performance.
    Offline defrag: Has to be done manually and removes the whitespace created by the online defrag. This reduces filesize.
    Windows defrag: This defragments the file itself therefore increasing performance. This can help the MDB or STR files as well.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

IMHO if the file size will be reduced by 20% or more than it's justified to do an offline defrag.

If you're going to move the database before defragging it be aware that ESM will take quite a while to move it depending on the file size. Make sure to account for that time in the process if you have any type of SLA to maintain.

Comment

According to the Application Log we will get back about 6.5GB. Now, I know that's not a ton of space but the volume that houses the DB only has about 9GB of space left. Current DB is about 53GB, so 6.5GB is about 12% of the total. Again, not a huge amount but I'll take what I can get at the moment to get me through this year.

Here's my plan: Add the extra drive space and add a new volume. Follow the "Move Exchange Stores to a Different Disk" article I found here on this site , then run the defrag. I don't have any SLA concerns and am prepared to take as long as necessary to get the system healthy again.

Thanks for the advice guys...it is appreciated.

Comment

Based on the size of the drive and the database I'd say it's justified to do an offline defrag even though you're moving it to a larger drive first. Sounds like you have a good plan and I say proceed.

Comment

yes offline defragment can be also done in network drive by switch D..
            Here is the good article
            http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...EXCHG.65).aspx

Comment

Originally posted by Vedprakash View Post
              yes offline defragment can be also done in network drive by switch D..
              Here is the good article
              http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...EXCHG.65).aspx
              I had a plan now you've got me thinking.

OK...I've got a ton of space on a network share for that but is it better to defrag then move or move then defrag??? I've got to move the DB to a new volume anyway.

Comment

I think it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Personally I would move it and then defrag it.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice guys.

As of now I've added 200GB of disk space and have the database move process running. The counter is stuck at 100% but from what I read the counter is pretty much lying and the process can take several hours. Anyways, keep your fingers crossed.

Once the move is done I'll do the offline defrag, but it might have to wait until next weekend, depending on how long the move takes.

Later

Comment

Working...
                  X