Giving permissions to contact object on public folders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giving permissions to contact object on public folders

Hi, I have a public folder and I want to allow only one exchange contact(objectClass:contact) to send mails to this public folder. I tried giving permissions from ESM to create items in PF but it didn't work.

Am I missing any thing here?

Thanks,

Re: Giving permissions to contact object on public folders

Can you give more details? When you say it didn't work, what do you mean? The contact could or couldn't send an email to the PF? Others could or couldn't send an email to the PF?

Comment

>The contact could or couldn't send an email to the PF?

Sorry for not being clear. My goal is to allow only that contact object to send emails to my PF. Others should not be able to send. So, I have issued create item permission on PF and removed all remaining permissions/IDs from that PF.

Thanks,

Comment

Here's what I would try: Remove the contact from the PF. Re-add the contact to the PF and give it the Contibutor role. Don't try to give it a custom role or permissions. Also, is the PF mail enabled?

I've never tried to give a contact permission to a PF, only users and Anonymous so I don't know if it will work but give it a try.

Comment

From the depths of my memory, contacts cannot be given PF permissions (certainly that is the case with Exchange 2007/Outlook 2007
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

>I've never tried to give a contact permission to a PF,
            >only users and Anonymous so I don't know if it will work but give it a try.

I tried giving full permissions to contact alone by removing other IDs. But it didn't work. I guess giving permissions to contacts is not the right way?

Comment

>From the depths of my memory, contacts cannot be given
              >PF permissions (certainly that is the case with Exchange 2007/Outlook 2007

Ossian,

Is this applicable to Exchange 2003 as well? Just to give clarity from my side, I am talking about the contact objects we create in active directory(a person confused me saying that he is thinking about outlook contacts..crap)

Comment

I believe so but I'm not absolutely sure (and no E2K3 server in reach)
                In Outlook 2007 you cannot give contacts permissions on a PF in E2K7, nor can you with the EMC. You may be able to do so with the EMS or with the PF management tools in E2K3
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I just tried it in Exchange 2003 and the message I get when trying to give a contact permissions to the PF is "non local users cannot be given permissions to this folder". So it appears that Ossian is correct and it can't be done in Exchange 2003.

Comment

Thanks for confirmation. I will find alternative to my problem.

Jayaho guys

Comment

Working...
                    X