Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2003 migration to new server but keeping same SAN

Hi Everyone-

I inherited an Exchange server some time ago in my company and have now been assigned the task of migrating our existing single server Exchange install over to newer and better hardware. I have never done a migration before and in all honestly, my Exchange skills are fairly rudimentary compared with some of the real experts on this forum.

Our mail stores reside on SAN attached storage so my initial impression is that this migration should be simpler than some of the scenarios I've found in my research. Although I am still wary and unfortunately cannot find too much information describing the steps for my scenario.

We would like to keep the same server name so I imagine for the first part of the setup I will be following the steps described in:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997176(EXCHG.65).aspx

But I will not have to restore storage groups since I will just attach the LUN's to the new server. But how about the SRS database? Will I need to restore that from tape. And are there any other implications or things that I need to watch out for.

Please excuse my ignorance if this is a basic and straight-forward procedure. But I must tread lightly and ensure success since I will be doing this on a live production environment.

Thanks for any insight that anyone can provide.

Re: Exchange 2003 migration to new server but keeping same SAN

Do you have any Exchange 5.5 sites linked to your Exchange 2003 Organization? If not then there isn't any SRS database and you can proceed with the instructions in the MS article. I've used this method several times and not had any issues. Make sure to follow the steps exactly and in order.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      Do you have any Exchange 5.5 sites linked to your Exchange 2003 Organization? If not then there isn't any SRS database and you can proceed with the instructions in the MS article. I've used this method several times and not had any issues. Make sure to follow the steps exactly and in order.
      Yeah no 5.5 sites at all. so I will be good there. And just to confirm, I will follow this article to a T up until step 13, where instead of restoring from tape I would attach the LUN's to the new server.

The other thing that is making me nervous is that it's not just the storage groups that live on the SAN, but all of the Exchange application files as well. So I'm affraid that when I attach it to the new server, I will have a big mess on my hands.

Any thoughts on this?

Comment

As far as attaching the LUN's, I've never done it that way. I've always just copied the databases off the old server (after dismounting them) to an intermediate network share and then copied them from there to the new server. I would only caution that you should make sure that after you attach the LUN's that the file path to the databases and log files matches the old server.

As far as the Exchange binaries (application files) is concerned, I'm not quite clear on what you're saying. Is it the case that Exchange was installed to a drive mapped to a LUN on the SAN for the old server? Is that how you're going to install the new server? If so, I'm assuming it will be to a new LUN or to the same LUN with a different path, is that right? If so, then the application files from the old server are just a bunch of files and shouldn't impact the new server or any other server.

Comment

"As far as the Exchange binaries (application files) is concerned, I'm not quite clear on what you're saying. Is it the case that Exchange was installed to a drive mapped to a LUN on the SAN for the old server? Is that how you're going to install the new server? If so, I'm assuming it will be to a new LUN or to the same LUN with a different path, is that right? If so, then the application files from the old server are just a bunch of files and shouldn't impact the new server or any other server."

Yep Joe, that is exactly right. the Exchange binaries were installed to the existing LUN that I am needing to move to the new server. So I see what youre saying though. Even though the new server is assuming the identity of the old one, only the database and log file paths need to be the same and therefore the binaries become just a bunch of files. Is that correct?

Comment

Right, as long as you don't install the Exchange application files for the new server to the exact same path location on the SAN as the old server. If you do, you'll be mixing up the application files from the old server with the new which could get messy.

Also, if you have any doubt about it, once you've reached the point in the move where you shut down the old server you can format the LUN on the SAN that the old server was using for the application files. That way you're sure the old stuff is gone before proceeding further.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
              Right, as long as you don't install the Exchange application files for the new server to the exact same path location on the SAN as the old server. If you do, you'll be mixing up the application files from the old server with the new which could get messy.

Also, if you have any doubt about it, once you've reached the point in the move where you shut down the old server you can format the LUN on the SAN that the old server was using for the application files. That way you're sure the old stuff is gone before proceeding further.
              Many thanks for your advice Joe. I guess the simplicity of this all has been deceiving. I will continue to do a bit more research before d-day but you definitely got me on the right path. Thanks again!

Comment

Glad to help. I was pretty amazed when I did it the first time as to how simple it was.

Comment

OK so now I have another question. After I give the new server the identity of the old one, and after installing Exchange using the disaster recovery switch, and after I map the LUN's to the new server using the same path that was on the old server- how will the new Exchange box know about these storage groups?

Actually, not just the storage groups. How will this fresh install of Exchange know about any of the previous configuration that was on the old server? Things like public folders, recipient policies, smtp connectors, OWA?

I am obviously missing something here. Does the disasterrecovery switch somehow tell Exchange to grab its entire configuration from somewhere? And does that mean that I will need to restore some stuff from tape or does AD keep track of this somehow?

Sorry, I thought I was in good shape until I started thinking about this conundrum. As always, thanks for all of your assistance thus far.

Comment

99% of all the configuration information is stored in AD. Everything from Recipient Policies to Address Lists to SMTP server settings. It's been awhile since I've done this but if I remember correctly I didn't have to modify, change, adjust, etc. anything after the process completed. The only thing that comes to mind is that you might need to look at/install your SSL cert in IIS on the new server.

Comment

Working...
                    X