EX 2003 Mailbox size problem even though 75gb set

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EX 2003 Mailbox size problem even though 75gb set

We have an Outlook 2003 client connected to Exchange 2003 sp2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\Se rver name\Private-Mailbox Store GUID has a DWORD entry called "Database Size Limit in Gb" set to 75 decimal.

There are no limits on the store, this users mailbox, or in a policy.

We are still getting a error from the OL client saying that the mailbox store is over the limit delete some items, and it will not sync with EX.

Any thoughts

Re: EX 2003 Mailbox size problem even though 75gb set

I think you may be mixing up database size limits and mailbox limits possibly?

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/...ce-Pack-2.html

http://www.petri.com/setting_mailbox_limits.htm
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

I undestand that the database limit is 75gb, but I am not aware of (and the articles in the links provided do not describe), a default maximum indivdual mailbox size. Clearly in this situation it is not 2gb as this mailbox is well over that in size.

My assumption was that given a 75gb database size and no mailbox limits that in theory a sole mailbox could grow to the database max. (note the words "sole mailboix").

Does anyone know if there is a separate default individual mailbox size limit?

If so can it also be modified like the database limit?

Comment

As was stated, you're confusing the db size limit and mailbox size limits, they are not related.

Use the following script to dump out your policies to see where the limit is being enforced.

http://msgdev.mvps.org/exdevblog/lexchpols.zip

Comment

Originally posted by TonyROZe View Post
          As was stated, you're confusing the db size limit and mailbox size limits, they are not related.

Use the following script to dump out your policies to see where the limit is being enforced.

http://msgdev.mvps.org/exdevblog/lexchpols.zip

Respectfully, I do understand the difference. There are NO policy limits on mailbox size. No limits in ADS (using ADSIEdit). No limits imposed by us anywhere.

Therefore I will repeat my previous assumption.

Given no individual mailbox store limits, by policy or otherwise, shouldn't an individual mailbox be able to grow to the maximum database limit; if of course it was the only box takeing up space.

OR

Is there a default (not policy or other) maximum size for an individual mailbox.
          It may be hardcoded just like the db default size of 18gb (after sp2) and require it to be overridden by a registry key or a policy.

Comment

This issue is a little confusing as Outlook has no knowledge of how big the database is, only how big the mailbox is and there are no default mailbox size limits so I think we're all getting a little jumbled up on exactly what is causing the message. Can you post a screen shot of the message that the Outlook client is getting.

Comment

The other option for resolving this situation is that the Outlook clients are using non-Unicode OST files. There is a 2GB limit on non-Unicode OST files. Please follow the instructions from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831059 and tell us if the OST files are Unicode or not.

Thanks!
              Don't fool yourself. If you truly feel passionate about something, you will do whatever it takes. If you don't, you'd better get busy pursuing happiness, because it's all you've got.

Comment

Can't tell you what the exact message is, already reduced the size. Definitely not unicode; and we are well over the 2GB limit as I mentioned earlier.

This is not a huge deal as this mailbox just happens to be an annomolly and rediculously large 18-19GB.

What caught my eye is the default 18GB Database Size with SP2, and I thought perhaps they have hard coded this as a mail box limit as well.

Outlook actually is aware of any and all size limitations on the Exchange Server as this is part of the handshake, so I doubt this is a local Outlook limitation, although anything is possible.

Comment

Found the answer

Outlook 2003 and 2007 have a max file size of 20gb. Yeah I know huge, but he owns the company, what else is new.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832925

Comment

Originally posted by dburr View Post
                    Private-Mailbox Store GUID has a DWORD entry called "Database Size Limit in Gb" set to 75 decimal.
                    I think this is where the confusion originally came in, this setting isn't related to your problem. Good find on the MS link though, hadn't read that one before. Would recommend looking at an archiving solution though as 20GB for a mailbox must be quite slow.
                    cheers
                    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Not sure what you mean by not related to my problem. This is EXACTLY my problem.

Yup working on the archive. It was actually an archive project that got us here. "He" wanted to consolodate some old archives, import them all then archive out by year removing all the dupes.

We were unaware of the ceiling on the OL offline file.

No biggie, just had never heard there was an upper limit on the OL offline cache (ost).

Kinda stupid when you think about it, with the database technology that MS has (e..g Jet, MSDE). You would think that they would want to make it as robiust as possible using an exisiting technology designed for exactly this use.

Comment

Working...
                      X