Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exch 2k3 Source domain based Smarthost

Hi there.

I have 2k3 sp2 exchange server that i use for testing and playing with, so its not data critical.

I have a requirement to host a couple of domains on the box, and obviously have the smtp option of either DNS delivery or Smarthost to my ISP.

But what I would like to be able to do is to route out via DNS for Domain 1
    and Smart host for Domain 2,

So to clarify, all messages from Domain1.co.uk get sent out via DNS and all messages from domain2.co.uk get sent on to the ISP.

can anyone tell me if this is possible and if so how?

thanks

regards

Andy

Re: Exch 2k3 Source domain based Smarthost

Assuming I'm not missing anything obvious maybe you could just create two smtp connectors set with one with a smarthost, the other without and then add in delivery restrictions for the users that are accepted on each one. Each user only has 1 primary address so this would probably assume each user is in one or the other domain for sending purposes?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Hi Andy,
      thanks for the suggestion, that was my first thought too, but couldnt get it to work, It may be my understanding ( or lack of!)

This is what i did.....

For connector domain1, i added in the Delivery restrictions tab, a group containing the domain1 users , set delivery to reject and added this group.
      In the reject section, i added the the user in domain 2

In the other connector I added an explicit user in the accept and a group in the reject.

the results were that when i sent one mail out from each domain, both went by the Smarthost (domain 1)

Have i missed something in delivery restriction procedure?

cheers

Andy

Comment

How about just putting in one user into the "accept messages from" for each connector and seeing if they work? Not sure if this (and the follow up link) is relevant? http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/.../msg00235.html
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Hi there.

Ok so I have done a bit more digging,
          1, the reason it was smarthosting, was that i had a smarthost set in the SMTP VS that I had missed (DUH!) so now everything is going by DNS rather than Smarthost.

Tried the registary hack as you mentioned, - no luck,

Found something called winroute wich gave me loads of info, including summing up the connectors and their restrictions, Super tool! and itl ooks as it it should work ( if only)

I then set both connectors to smarthost on a hunch, and it appears that the connectors are not being used. the outgoing seems to be using the Smtp VC.
          I have come to this conclusion because both of the connectors now have smarthosts set and it is still using DNS.

I was under the impression that if there were connectors, then they would be used in prefernce to the smtp VS.

This is giving me a headache!

regards
          Andy

Comment

Working...
          X