Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hosting domain that is also hosted elsewhere

Hi,

I've done this a dozen times, but for some reason can get it to work this time.

Here's the scenario.

A large company has a head office with a mail server and a domain is hosted there - 'email.com'. All the site offices use pop3 to collect there email from the head office. The site we look after wants to use exchange so what we do is, setup exchange with the domain 'email.com.local', then add the 'email.com' address to each user. Since the local exchange does not handle 'email.com' any messages addressed to [email protected] that hit the local exchange and find a [email protected] are routed locally and any that do not find an address there are bounced off into the big wide world and find the head office. I use popcon to dload mail from head office and forward to local users.

This has worked in the past with other sites I've done. However, this time for some reason unless I add email.com to recipient policies AND tick the box for 'this exchange server is responsible for all mail for this address' it does not find the local addresses (popcon shows the error - Recipient "[email protected]" was blocked by Exchange as unknown user. Error: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for [email protected]. No recipient of this mail was accepted by Exchange.

But if I check the box to get the local routing to work, it does not route unknown users to the head office.

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Re: Hosting domain that is also hosted elsewhere

in order to share a SMTP name space you need to add a SMTP connector with the shared domain as the address space (in this case @email.com).

Comment

Working...
    X