Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Offsite Exchange server mirroring (seamless redundancies)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offsite Exchange server mirroring (seamless redundancies)

I've got a proof of concept I'd like to make happen.

My company has one exchange server and recently it went offline for a few hours. No one was able to access it and we have a 15 minute response times specified in some of our contracts with a few of our clients, as you can imagine, this can cause some serious problems.

What I'd like to do is have a mirrored exchange server hosted on a leased VPS with a high availability environment and a fast connection (I've got a company I have a linux VPS on and I'm thoroughly happy with it)

My question is this:

I'd like mail, contacts and calendar to be mirrored to this external server and online access that would automatically pick up where the downed server stopped.

I'm only looking for comments on how to get exchange to do this, I've got the DNS and hardware portion of it covered.

Thanks

Re: Offsite Exchange server mirroring (seamless redundancies)

Across a WAN link Exchange 2003 can't do this on it's own. We have a customer with a similar requirement and they have an active/passive Exchange cluster with the passive node in a colo site for DR. We use DoubleTake GeoCluster to replicate the Exchange data to get around the fact that an Exchange cluster requires shared storage. Primary limitation of this setup is the unreliable VPN connection between the sites and the fact that once you fail over to the passive node you can't fail back until replication is complete (~2-4 hours, sometimes more).

Be warned, DoubleTake ain't cheap but from the sounds of things you have a legitimate business case for needing it, which may well be enough to justify the cost.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I've also used DT and found it very good for this scenario. As long as your link can take the data then it is a good solution. You will not get "seamless" though. There is always some sort of downtime.

You could also say you have a case for moving to Ex 2007 as well as some of this technology is also available.
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

We use DT, although we're using it in one LAN only. we've had to "engage" it on a few occassions and it works pretty flawlessly. We use the manual failover method as we want to verify the situation and control the failover rather than autmatically failing over whenever a server burps. I allow 10 to 15 minutes for the DT processes to run and then users have access again to their mailboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
          I've also used DT and found it very good for this scenario. As long as your link can take the data then it is a good solution. You will not get "seamless" though. There is always some sort of downtime.

You could also say you have a case for moving to Ex 2007 as well as some of this technology is also available.
          I was thinking about moving to 2007 anyway, this route seems a bit more cost effective.

Has anyone experienced success using Cluster Continuous Replication in 2007?

Comment

Working...
          X