No announcement yet.

GAL Rebuilding by itself?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GAL Rebuilding by itself?

Hi there,

We are currently running Windows 2003 Enterprise SP2 with Exchange 2003 SP2. We have 12 backend (clustered active/passive) server, 4 front end servers and 4 domain controllers.

We have over 100 address lists and a GAL containing around 25,000 users.

The problem is that sometimes the GAL empties itself...we find an event that the GAL is being rebuild. Actually it does not rebuild and we have to trigger the rebuild again.

I have checked the gatewayProxy attribute on the Recipient Update Service object and there are no stalled entries....any ideas?

Best regards

Re: GAL Rebuilding by itself?

You could turn up the diagnostic logging and check the logs. DGoldmans site is a great resource too (LINK) although not sure why I can't access that at the moment.

Are all those servers in the same admin group? Is the site folder server showing any issues in the logs? Have you checked the DC and Exchange server involved in the RUS? Any replication errors on the DCs? Is NOTES in your environment?

Can you post the error messages and screenshots so we can be sure we are talking on the same page?

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Re: GAL Rebuilding by itself?

Dear Andy,

Yes I did turn up diagnostic logging...there no errors, just the usual eventids 8129, 8011, 8012, 8130...

All the servers are in the same admin group. DC and Exchange servers involved in the RUS seem fine ( I have actually move these roles to other servers a couple of times but it will still happen). No replication errors and no Notes.

I am not sure what you mean by "site folder".

What I would like to find though is why the GAL is "automatically" rebuilding...I can't seem to find what is triggering the rebuild. Is there something I can audit for to see what person/or process/ or account could be triggering this "automatic" rebuild.

Thanks for your time