No announcement yet.

Exchange 2003 disk space issue

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2003 disk space issue

We're in the middle of transitioning to Exchange 2007 from 2003. The hard drives on one of our servers has very little disk space. The drive where the storage groups are located is filling up a lot faster than it should be. We've moved 20+ people off of this server hoping to buy some time but that had no effect. Doing an offline defrag would not be good since it will take over a day. Any ideas on why this drive is filling so rapidly?

Re: Exchange 2003 disk space issue

Well you'll need to be more specific. What is consuming the drive space? Is it the databases or the transaction logs? When you moved users off of the server did you use the Move Mailbox wizard? If so, that operation creates a large number of transaction log files. My guess would be that the transaction logs are consuming the space. Here's what I suggest:

1. Backup up the information store with an Exchange aware backup program so that the transaction logs get flushed.

2. When you're moving users (assuming you're using the Move Mailbox wizard) temporarily turn on circular logging. Make sure to turn off circular logging when you're done moving users.

Thanks for responding Joe.
      We're backing up the information store nightly with Symantec Backup Exec and I've checked that the transaction logs are being flushed accordingly before posting.
      We turned on circular logging on the exchange 2003 box in an effort to fix it but the space is still being consumed.
      We moved the transaction logs to an external hard drive to further attempt to free up space but it is still being consumed.
      I was thinking about using Process Monitor or another tool to see exactly what is going on but didn't know if that would cause problems of its own.

I don't know if it's relevent but this server is the bridgehead for 2003 and the one connected to 2007. I didn't suppress link-state updates because of there being only one routing group connector.

If you have enabled circular logging correctly then you should never see any log build up. You will have four or five files in the location at most.

Did you restart the information store service after making the change for it to take effect?

Simon Butler
          Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
          Exchange Resources List:
          In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.