Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMTP Logs and other logs exchange 2003

Guys,

I desperately need your sagely advice...

We are runing exchange 2003 on 2003 server. we have the our main transaction logs on a seperate logs drive. Our C partition is filling up and want to move the smtp logs and other exchange logging.

A) can i move old smtp logs (over four months old) to the same partition as the transaction logs
    B) Can i move smtp logging to the same partition as the transaction logs
    C) Could i delete old smtp logs assuming they are backed up
    D) How frequently can i move/delete those smtp logs how long ould they be required.. (poosily piece of string question)
    E) We have load of logs in the c:\windows\temp directory eg tmp9A11.tmp, LB9A0F.tmp in folder named 1cF0, 1e93 - any advice on what they are.. ?

Your urgent advice would be gratefully recieved as my exchange server crashed last weekend due to lack of space and i don't fancy more drama on monday,.... i am againg enough already !

Thanks in advance
    Benjapos

MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291 ITIL Practitioner, Prince2 Practitioner - working on 70-284

Re: SMTP Logs and other logs exchange 2003

I would also like to do something similar with the IIS logs the W3SVC1 folder ?
    Benjapos

MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291 ITIL Practitioner, Prince2 Practitioner - working on 70-284

Comment

The SMTP Logs found on the properties of the Default SMTP Virtual server are for your diagnostics only. If you don't read or require them then you can turn the logging off and delete them (backup if you wish, if nothing else you can zip them). They aren't required for Exchange or even referenced by it at any point, message tracking is separate to this. Let me know if you are talking about something different though.
      http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/...P_Service.html

With regards to the temp directory you could reboot the server and then move these files somewhere else, wait a few days and then delete them. I usually delete them straight away assuming they are old.

Other things to check may be updates within the WINDOWS folder, anything in the downloads folder with software distribution/WINDOWS and any unused profiles in Documents and Settings. Also AV directories - temp or quarantine.
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Great thank you, That was very helpful.

No im not talking about transaction logs... they are on another drive and get cleared at every backup.

Could i move where the SMTP and IIS logs to another drive ? (location c:\windows\system32\logfiles\W3SVC1 AND :\windows\system32\logfiles\smtpsvc1

If so, How and could i move them to the same drive as the transaction logs ?

LAST Question - is there not a setting to over write these files after a period of time ?Thanks again for your help... saving my bacon....
        Benjapos

Comment

I don't think there is an inbuilt way to auto delete after so much but then by default they aren't turned on. Do you read them?

To move them just change where it is logging at the moment (may require a restart) and then move the existing files, Exchange (IIS) does not do anything other than write the log and forget about it. There is a case to say having these logs running will affect the performance of Exchange so do you really need them all the time?
          cheers
          Andy

Comment

As far as the log files are concerned: any logs in the system32\logs subfolders can and should be deleted on a regular basis. Depending on the log settings new logs may be created every hour, day, week, or month. I set my logs for daily creation and then every month I go delete all but the most current 30 days worth of logs. Personally I don't see any need to move them. Our Exchange server processes 60,000 emails a day and 30 days worth of log files are less than 4GB, so unless you have a very small drive and a very busy server I would leave them where they are.

Comment

That did the trick, thanks....

We don't read them so thinking i may turn them off how do i turn both sets of logs off ? (smtp and iis)
              Benjapos

Comment

Should be something like:

SMTP - properties of the SMTP Virtual Server in ESM under the server, protocols and SMTP.

IIS - Open IIS and properties of the site.
                cheers
                Andy

Comment

Working...
                X