path for Gal in exchange server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• path for Gal in exchange server

What is the path of Gal ( Global address link ) in the exchange server , as need to change the default path of this Gal .

Re: path for Gal in exchange server

Hi Miyan,

The GAL is the 'Global Address List', could you explain a little bit more about what you want to achieve first please?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Yes , i know what gal is , MY question is , that what are the file associated for this in the server (Exchange server )
      And if iam not able to acess this feature in exchange 2k3 , what is going to be my first approach to solve this

Comment

Solve what? The GAL is not a file system object, it is an AD object. It "lives" in the AD database, it does not exist on the Exchange server.

Comment

Ok so I am confused too. I think we need a little more clarification on what the problem is. So I am going to ask this.

Is your exchange server not seeing the GAL?
          Two things:
          1) If I wrote something wrong please please please let me know. I want to know ESPECIALLY if I am wrong.
          2) I have a tendency to write things that are misconstrued as being agressive or not so pleasant. That is not my intent.

Comment

first of all thank for your reply,
            Yes i am not able to able to use GAL at the users end in my organisations
            and i want to trouble shooting that , so need your help for that ,
            Send me the steps for this .

Comment

We need more information -- there is no "magic bullet" to fix whatever your problem happens to be.

First, how are your users connecting to Exchange? (if its Outlook, which version)
              Have you tried Outlook Web Access and seen if they see the GAL using the To button there?
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

When you say that you're not able to use the GAL, what do you mean? Can you give us specifics on what actions create the problem? What error messages do you get? Give us as much detail as possible.

Comment

I think I see what his problem is and everyone here is on the right track. It does depend on what version of Outlook you are using.
                  Miyan can you tell us if your outlook clients are actually seeing an EMPTY GAL or is there no GAL there at all in the address book?

If the GAL is not there at all then it is a setup issue and you need to go to .... ummm... Tools>Email Accounts>then add the Global Address List from there (on each client, through a script or some other fashion and it will depends on the version(s) of Outlook you are using). Again do this IF there is no GAL at all in the client's address book.

If there is a GAL and it is empty, then you have a problem above my head so someone that is not a complete nooblet like myself (i.e. Ossian or Joeqwerty) will have to help you out.
                  Two things:
                  1) If I wrote something wrong please please please let me know. I want to know ESPECIALLY if I am wrong.
                  2) I have a tendency to write things that are misconstrued as being agressive or not so pleasant. That is not my intent.

Comment

I am using Microsoft outlook 2003 , as email client in my organization.
                    when , users try to open the email to another email . there is no GAL .

Exchanger server is 2k3 with 2k3 server in it.

Please help .
                    Send Microsoft kb if possible

Comment

Miyan, as has already been stated there is no magic bullet to fix this. You haven't stated if you have tried OWA yet or if the GAL is showing as empty or that it doesn't exist at all which would be unlikely.
                      Is this a new install and it isn't working or has this just started happening? Is email working between users? Is this a complex or simple setup? Have you checked the event logs? Updated the server to current patches? Made any attempts at fixing it yourself with good/bad results?

Information is key here...
                      cheers
                      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

I suggest that you check in the event logs to see if there are error message about the GAL updating.

Next go to the system manger, off-line address lists. click on the entry to the right and say rebuild.

Then go to the event log and you should see entries about the address list being updated.

NOTE: The GAL for Exchange 2003 really comes from here.

Also - are you not getting the GAL on all outlook boxes or just a few.

Ed

Comment

I am not getting GAL list on all the outlook on the client systems .

its a old install and working on it since 2 years , yes email system is working fine . only issue is that Gal address list is not showing .
                          Last edited by Miyan; 9th April 2009, 07:47.

Comment

WHat about in Outlook Web Access?
                            Tom Jones
                            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                            IT Trainer / Consultant
                            Ossian Ltd
                            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Miyan,
                              I am adding screen shots to confirm what I am thinking here. Can you give me a yes or no on whether this is what you are seeing.

If you do Screen1

Then do you or do you not get screen 2?

If the Global Address List is not listed in the Address Book, which is what I think you are trying to get at. Then it just needs to be added on the client side.
                              Attached Files
                              Two things:

Comment

Working...
                              X