When I email myself, my message goes into Outlook Junk mail folder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When I email myself, my message goes into Outlook Junk mail folder

My boss cc's himself on many emails (he wants them in his inbox as well as his sent mail). Recently all emails from him have started going into his Junk E-mail box.

We have an SBS 2003 Exchange server. His computer uses Outlook 2007. No 3rd party spam blockers.

Last night, he was on OWA and sent emails that went straight to his Junk E-mail box. That leads me to believe it is a server/IMS problem, not an outlook problem.

I enabled Sender ID Filtering and added the server's local and WAN address. I have enabled SCL score viewing on my machine using scl.cfg, but while the column is there, there is no value in it for me to rate his emails.

Thanks in advance for any help; if I left anything out let me know and I will try to add it.

Re: When I email myself, my message goes into Outlook Junk mail folder

wow no one has replied any information to this issue yet? it's been here since April... i'll keep checking.

Comment

Could there be a rule enabled that is moving them there?

Comment

There are not any rules about his address. His address, and the entire domain, are included in his "safe senders" list.

Comment

What about if he sends you an e-mail from that same account, does it go into your junk e-mail folder?

And just to make clear, he is using his company e-mail and is sending his company e-mail in the CC line and that company e-mail is going to the junk mail folder?

Comment

When he sends me (or anyone else in the organization) it does not go into the Junk Mail box.
            He emails from the exchange account with his own (exchange) address in either the CC or To field. for around five years these messages went into his inbox; then they started going into his Junk mail box.

Comment

Exchange doesn't filter internal email. Therefore the problem is exclusively with Outlook. It will be the Outlook junk email filter that is moving the item.

Simon.
              --
              Simon Butler
              Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
              More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
              Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
              In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

I had that thought as well; that's why I asked him about sending through OWA and his Blackberry, which are not dependant on the local outlook settings.
                From what you are saying, does it follow that I should have him log off from his desktop (no small feat in itself) so that his desktop outlook is not at all operational and then try OWA/Blackberry?

Comment

What about just bringing up another system with outlook and setting him up on that? Does it do the same thing with another Outlook? If not, reset his outlook back to default or wipe it completely and start over with it.

If he can't log off for you to troubleshoot, it doesn't sound like it is that big of a problem for him.

Comment

I have logged him off his computer and sent emails from his account both via OWA and another computer which has outlook. Still no good.

Because he has so many emails, I set up the other computer in cached mode. His junk mail choices ( blocked senders, safe senders) all were the same on all computers and cached mode. I checked again that his address is not on the blocked senders list.

Comment

Is there any solution to this issue besides wiping out the user's mailbox and starting over again?
                      Last edited by yhaase; 8th January 2010, 20:38.

Comment

I have not found one yet.
                        My boss has learned to live with it, so I haven't tried so many new things recently.

Comment

Have you checked within Outlook for the Junk Email Filter settings?

Tools > Options > Preferences tab > Junk E-mail button

He might have set himself as junk by accident. He can right click on his email within the Junk E-mail folder and then click "Mark as not Junk".
                          GoogleFu is strong with this one ^

Comment

Cheers,

I had the same problem, mail from myself to myself went 'junk' so I decided (after some moths of "adjusting" ) to try to find the problem.

For my part it was a faulty rule that did it.

I had a rule for moving "all messages from MensHealth.com" to Junk E-mails and simply disabling that rule made everything work as expected.

I think maybe I used that rule in the wrong way, and it wanted me to specify a valid account instead of just a domain name, but I'd say that is buggy rule handling in any case.

Comment

Thank you, votersunion. He had the same rule. I disabled it and now the emails from himself go to his inbox, just like they should.

How do I assign reputation points?

Comment

Working...
                              X