Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMTP - Current Sessions

Greetings,

I am quite not knowledgeable about Windows Exchange. So, please, be as explicit as you can.

We are using Exchange 2003 (5.2 SP 2) and I noticed under servers/OurmailServer/Protocols/SMTP/Current Sessions there are a bunch of connections from MANY domaisn from all around the world.

I noticed also on the default SMTP Virtual Server access/authentication anonymous access is checked.

We use Exchange for our corporation E-mails through Outlook and the setup is simply with Excahnge server (with the wizard when we setup users). I use SMTP with SQL Server.

1 - Do we need SMTP for something else usually?
    2 - How do I prevent those connection? Do I simply check Integrated Windows Authentication?

I need some help and some "teaching" here please.

Thank you

Re: SMTP - Current Sessions

Those connections are SMTP connections from remote SMTP servers that are sending your domain email. In most cases you don't need to do anything with them. You should not change the authentication settings on the SMTP virtual server. If you don't want incoming email to go to your Exchange server, then block port 25 at your firewall.

Comment

Greetings,

There are connections that are connected since 2,129,579 seconds...

videoiter.com
      sordoolicky.com
      creosawls.com
      ourcoreproducts.com
      sectionfoams.com
      matchmator.com
      selimdiocese.com

Thank you

Comment

Those look like spammers. Get the ip addresses and block them at your firewall.

Comment

Greetings,

What will be the consequence if I choose the windows authntication instead of anonymous?

Are those spammers using our SMTP to send Emails or those are just spammers that sent Emails to us?

Thank you

Comment

Then only SMTP servers that authenticate to your server will be able to send email to your users. No one else will be able to send you email. you would then have to work with each sender to configure their server to authenticate to yours when they send you email. You're very unlikely to get any email admin to cooperate with you in setting this up.

Comment

Thank you very much for the information. I understand now.

Comment

Working...
              X