question about exchange

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about exchange

guys I'm in the process of installing exchange 2003 on my 2003 Server at home, and I want to be able to send and receive email to the outside world using my exchange server, at home I don't have a static ip so I'm using no-ip which they also provide a mx name host record for DNS, but my question is... will adding a record for mx would be enough?... are there any other things that I have to take into consideration?... I'm talking besides opening ports smtp, pop3 on my firewall also at home I have my own domain which I authenticate, but how would someone from the outside would be able to send mail to homelan.com for example.... or would I have to create an external domain name and put the exchange server on the outside of my firewall?.... I know there are a few questions, but if someone could give me a hand....

thanks

Re: question about exchange

Damned expensive home network!

You would need to buy an external domain name (e.g. mydomain.com) and point its public MX records at your no-ip domain name (I suppose you could use your no-ip name as your public domain but again the mx records would need to refer to it IF no-ip supports MX records)

You would need to open at least port 25 and forward it to the local IP of your exchange server -- if you need to use OWA or Outlook RPC/HTTP you would need port 443 as well
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Damned expensive home network!

You would need to buy an external domain name (e.g. mydomain.com) and point its public MX records at your no-ip domain name (I suppose you could use your no-ip name as your public domain but again the mx records would need to refer to it IF no-ip supports MX records)

You would need to open at least port 25 and forward it to the local IP of your exchange server -- if you need to use OWA or Outlook RPC/HTTP you would need port 443 as well
      yes, no-ip does support mx records, but how could someone send me an email to lets say [email protected]?.... homelan.com been my internal domain name where my 2003 Active Directory is.... as far as I know when someone tries to send to [email protected] the name will not resolve b/c homelan.com only exist inside my network.... or am I complicating this too much?... may be I'm missing something here, and I just ought to do it.. after all that's the best way to learn

thanks for the help though

Comment

If you register homelan.com on the internet, people can email you
        If it is your internal domain name, no-one else will be able to send to it
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

If you register homelan.com on the internet, people can email you

I've seen networks that they have an internal DNS name and an external DNS name....

If it is your internal domain name, no-one else will be able to send to it
          so in order for ppl to send me mail my internal needs to be the same as my outside name?

thanks you've been very helpull

Comment

With a few caveats, the only domain people can email is one they can resolve externally. It doesn't matter what your internal one is for this process, it can be the same or different. To send someone an email the sending server needs to lookup the domain, lookup the MX record, find the IP address and then connect to port 25. This can only work on public domains.
            In exchange you setup the public domain you registered in the recipient policy, Exchange then accepts mail sent to that domain when other servers send to it.
            cheers
            Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
              With a few caveats, the only domain people can email is one they can resolve externally. It doesn't matter what your internal one is for this process, it can be the same or different. To send someone an email the sending server needs to lookup the domain, lookup the MX record, find the IP address and then connect to port 25. This can only work on public domains.
              In exchange you setup the public domain you registered in the recipient policy, Exchange then accepts mail sent to that domain when other servers send to it.
              ok... let me see if this is possible. Let's say my internal domain is homelan.com, and I have a website http://mywebsite.org, can I use the DNS settings from my hosting provider and setup the mx record to point to my external ip, and then configure exchange to receive mail from the external mywebsite.org in the recipient policy.

Comment

Yes you can.

Comment

Working...
                X