Hidden from GAL but still can rectify name in Exhcnage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hidden from GAL but still can rectify name in Exhcnage

So I read and read and figured out that you can hide an email from the GAL by going to Exchange Advanced tab and checking off the appropriate box. This is useful to know and good stuff. The user in question for me is now hidden from the GAL and can not be searched. HOWEVER, if you type the name into the To: line it still rectifies the name to the email address. Which begs a question or two. I ASSUMED (ha ha we know what that means) that this information was pulled from the GAL. I take it that it is not? Can someone please inform me of where the auto-rectify (or auto-justify, as I have seen it called in places) draws that information from?

Please imbue me with knowledge oh mighty techno-lords! I beseech thee!
    Two things:
    1) If I wrote something wrong please please please let me know. I want to know ESPECIALLY if I am wrong.
    2) I have a tendency to write things that are misconstrued as being agressive or not so pleasant. That is not my intent.

Re: Hidden from GAL but still can rectify name in Exhcnage

I think this is normal behaviour for an AD user, but not a contact.

Perhaps you could use the "delivery restrictions" options on said user if you dont want certain people mailing them?

Comment

The behavior you're describing is commonly referred to as "Auto Complete", and it's a function (option) of Outlook and has nothing to do with Exchange or the GAL. Every Outlook profile that has Auto Complete turned on will keep a list of email addresses that have been typed into the To: field in a file referred to as the "nickname cache". The file is located on the local machine and has an NK2 extension. To remove the entry from the nickname cache you need to open a new message, type the first letter of the recipients email address, scroll down to the recipient's entry, and hit the delete key.

Comment

Ok let me be more specific:
        The user is disabled. i.e. no longer employed. Our policy is not to delete accounts. The big boss' secretary has a mailing list and is annoyed that said user is still popping up with returned emails, because she is trying to mail him at his HOME email but when she types his name it auto-rectifies out to his exchange email address which is disabled. (Yes I know there is a simple solution to this which does not involve IT at all, however I could get more done by hitting myself in the head with a sock full of nails than trying to get some people to do things that they are not used to). SO! I need to know what attributes from AD are pulled when the TO: field is filled out with a valid users name (disabled or otherwise). I assume the actual mailbox being in existence has nothing to do with it, however I think I covered the assuming thing in my last post. Again, specifically I would like to know which attributes are polled when the To: field is filled out in exchange mail.

Simon, Delivery restirctions would work. But in my mind that is a patch for my specific problem. Which you were not aware of. Thanks for the input and if worse comes to worse I will likely do that.

Joe. I understand Autocomplete. However (and I could be wrong) I do not think that is actually what happens here. I do believe that the emails are stored locally for faster reference but I am about 99% sure that it does some type of search in the GAL or somewhere. Personally I had never mailed this individual and his email auto-justified, even after I had hidden him from the GAL.

At this point this tidbit of information has become a Holy Grail type quest, also if you find me in the Castle Antrax, I really do not need to be saved.

Thanks for the help!
        Last edited by Draenok; 30th March 2009, 18:12.
        Two things:
        1) If I wrote something wrong please please please let me know. I want to know ESPECIALLY if I am wrong.
        2) I have a tendency to write things that are misconstrued as being agressive or not so pleasant. That is not my intent.

Comment

I understand your point, but the Auto Complete has nothing to do with Exchange. This is a feature of Outlook whether it's configured for Exchange, POP, IMAP, etc. If the problem you're describing is that the Auto Complete "resolves" the email address when typing in the TO: field then the solution is to delete that entry from the nickname cache.

On a side note regarding the GAL, if you're users have Outlook configured for cached mode, then the disabled user will still be in the OAL until the new OAL rebuild (which happens at 5AM by default). Again though, this has nothing to do with Auto Complete.

Comment

So even though I had never mailed this individual myself. It autocompleted his email address from my local outlook client? If that is the case then maybe I need to get someone to explain to me how Autocomplete works becuase I have a serious gross conceptual error.

You are telling me that autocomplete on each client stores a complete copy of the GAL? Otherwise how would autocomplete know the address of the individual without me ever mailing or even typing his name into my client before? I am seriously confused.

Also we have cached exchange turned off. I was on top of that one.

Please do not read anything that I type as being agressive. I am not intending to be. I understand that there are huge holes in my knowledge and sometimes not knowing (or finding out I do not know) the stupidest thigns really aggravates me.
            Last edited by Draenok; 30th March 2009, 18:41.
            Two things:

Comment

Well, I don't know what's going on in your case, but the nickname cache is not connected to the GAL so I don't know how the recipient's address got in your nickname cache.

Also, not reading you as aggressive, hopefully I'm not coming across that way either. It's a strange issue so just trying to come up with possible solutions. Maybe someone else at Petri will have more insight for us.

Comment

Joe,
                Not agressive at all for you. I have a problem of people reading me that way though and I wanted to make sure that it was understood.

Anyway so here is the situation. I assume that you are running Exchange. If you type in someone's name that you have never mailed before then autocomplete will not kick in and you will have to type enough of the name for outlook to be able to figure out who you are typing too. Sometimes this can take a few seconds and it is easier to type in the full name. Say for example you had a person in your company named Aaron and there were no other Aaron's in the company. If you had never emailed this person before then all you would really have to type is Aa and after a few seconds Outlook would fill out the rest for you. To the extent of my knowledge that is not autocomplete. It is something else that we shall call "The unnamed!" at this point hehe.

Anyway "The Unnamed" is getting its information from somewhere and that process is what I want to know about.
                Two things:

Comment

Now I understand what you're referring to. Thanks for the additional info on what's happening. I have never noticed it but after trying it the way you describe it, it works exactly as you describe. I've been schooled, LOL. So the question is: how does Outlook do this? It must, as you said, maintain a connection to the GAL for the purpose of filling out the Auto Complete. I'm stymied as I've never run into this before.

Comment

So I found out that the feature you're referring to is called "Automatic name checking" and is separate from the Auto Complete feature. I'm googling now to try and find out more about it.

Comment

Joe,
                      Thanks for your help. As it turns out you were right for the wrong reasons. Which I must say is a talent that I do not have. I am almost always just plain wrong. The autocomplete is stored in a file *.nk2 and apparently the auto name checking works off of the same file. I verified this by renaming my .nk2 file and suddently I could no longer resolve the user that is disabled and hidden from the GAL. So my question is now answered thanks to you! I apprecaite the help!

Two things:

Comment

That's somewhat of a back-handed complement, but I'll take 'em however I can get 'em. Glad you got it sorted out.

Comment

After some Googling it appears that the Automatic Name Checking option in Outlook checks names against the Outlook Address Book, which in the case of an Exchange profile would be the GAL. You learn something new everyday.

Comment

Working...
                          X