Recipient doesn't receive attachments, others do

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recipient doesn't receive attachments, others do

Hello to all. First things first, I've visited this site quite often since starting my network admin job and this site has proven quite useful in the past. This is my first time posting so bear with me here.

We have an Exchange 2003 machine running on SBS2003. One of our recipients has issues receiving attachments sent from an external source. For example, an email came in this morning where it was sent to 3 of our users, all of them in the same Exchange organization, server and storage group. The problematic user didn't receive the attachment while the other two got the attachment with no issues. One of them forwarded the email to the problematic user who received the attachment and was able to open it.

I checked the tracking center but everything seems fine.

I should also mention that the attachments are mostly PDF files. The emails sent from the source also include a TXT file (disclaimer) that comes in fine. Just the PDF is getting removed. I checked our firewall (that does SPAM/Virus filtering) and nothing is getting blocked; the other recipients are getting the attachment after all.

I'd be greatful if anyone can help.

TIA

Re: Recipient doesn't receive attachments, others do

Usually it is worth checking client AV/AS, Exchange AV/AS and OWA for the user. Uninstall of AV/AS is usually a required test rather than disabling as this doesn't always truly disable the software.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Thanks but I don't think it's the AV. We have a centrally managed AV solution and everyone has the same configuration forced onto their machines. Just to be sure, I looked at the logs for the AV server and the ones on the user's computer. Nothing was ever blocked.

Comment

It doesn't necessarily have to be blocked unfortunately. For client AV make sure the machine is logged off and check OWA to remove this from the equation.

How about AV on the Exchange server itself?
        cheers
        Andy

Comment

I might try uninstalling the AV on the client to test but I can't do that now since the computer is in use. I did try OWA and the attachment is missing there too so it's not in the user's mailbox at all.

I also took a copy of the same PDF and sent it from my own gmail account. The document went through fine and wasn't removed.

edit: Oh and no, we have no AV for Exchange. There is a minimal AV client running (no firewall or anti-spyware) but only the system drive and shared folders are scanned. Exchange DB folders are excluded as per Exchange server guidelines.
          Last edited by philc; 30th March 2009, 19:42.

Comment

Don't worry about the client if the problem shows itself in OWA (assuming the client hasn't been opened before the email is read). It is just another thing to cross of the list.

Is it just this one user having the problem? Might be worth removing the Exchange attributes and then re-attaching the mailbox?
            cheers
            Andy

Comment

Hi again. Pardon me for the late reply. Our user is still having this issue and it is not the Outlook client that is causing the problem. I'll be removing the Exchange attribs and attach the mailbox during tonight's maintenance window.

If this doesn't solve the issue, would anyone else have any possible solutions that I could possibly try? Thanks a million.

Comment

Working...
              X